Saturday, January 7, 2012

I Used to Think I Was Some Kind of Gypsy Boy

Last night was my first busking of 2012! Unfortunately, it was super slow. It was warmer than it has been (in the thirties), and you expect people to be out on Friday nights. People were scarce, however, and the Coyote Choir was set up right outside of Thornes so most people saw them first and were at their tipping quota by the time they saw me. Two accordions really is a lot for one town. It was still nice to be out, though, and to play my songs.

Friday, January 6th, 2012:

1. A teenager asked, "Where's the elf costume?" Do people think I wear it year-round?

2. A lady came and got my info to play at events. This would be "If I ever get married or have a party." Way to play for the hypothetical!

3. I got a lot of compliments on my piano "skirt!" (Quotes because it's a whole dress.) One guy said he was going to just give me change, but the skirt was worth the whole dollar.

4. Something not specific to last night that I've never mentioned: usually it's annoying when loud trucks or motorcycles go by and drown you out. However, sometimes the timing is perfect when you're not sure what chord goes next. The truck goes by and you can play with chords that only you can hear, and when the truck sound dies down the people hear just what you came up with during the vehicle's passing!

5. A lot of people commented on the fact that there were two accordions out. This is usually the case, so I was surprised that it was breaking news last night. People also read between the lines and asked if we got along okay. They really were extra loud last night.

6. A little girl walked by and said I played "beautiful music." Things like that really make my night.

7. My nights are also made when, like last night, middle-aged ladies see my loans sign and say "Me too, honey!"

8. I was struck with a conundrum last night that I haven't faced before. These two ladies came by, from the direction that meant they might not have seen the Coyote Choir yet. One of them held some singles, and dropped a couple in my box. I was dying to know whether or not the rest were going to the CC. I wanted to watch them cross the street, but also a hot guy was walking towards me! Which do I look at?? The timing was close, but I was able to keep an eye on both parties in the key seconds. The ladies did not tip the CC. Small victories!

9. I don't play the Lady Gaga medley much anymore, but I busted it out last night and these two young guys loved it! They actually stuck around for the whole thing.

10. I often don't like simply going home after I pack up, and try to scout people to grab a drink with after. When a guy lingers, that's often my best bet. I looked up at one point to see a guy lingering. I was playing "Werewolves of London" and he sang along!!! Then this other man requested "Ring of Fire" but didn't even stick around to hear it. My friend sang along with that too, but didn't recognize "I Want You Back." I thought it was a good sign that he had stayed this long, and I commented that I wished more people sang along. He responded "What else are people supposed to do while they wait for their girlfriends in the bank?" Touche.

11. Faces was still projecting the green dots I've mentioned, and this time there was no Salvation Army bell ringer right in front of them. I wondered that if I were to set up six feet to my left, right in front of the dots, if people would give me credit for them and tip better. Hmmm.

12. I was pretty frustrated that I had done so poorly money-wise, but the icing on the cake happened when I was packing up. A couple had used the ATM and needed to break their twenty. The man came and asked if I had two tens for a twenty. I said no. Then he asked if I had twenty ones. Come on, people, I'm not a currency kiosk. If they had asked for the singles first I might have thought they intended to tip me, but asking for tens is a different story. Argh.

13. When I was just about packed up, a pack of hooligans came over. I find teenagers hilarious and endearing, and this was a great bunch. They were on their way to play some underage beer pong and thought they'd stop and listen to some accordion. I couldn't satisfy their requests for Incubus or Zeppelin, but I did some Gaga. They suggested that they "take care of" the Coyote Choir for me. At one point a rubber rat fell out of one of their pockets. Having a crowd is always good for attracting other people, and sure enough some folks that didn't fit in with this rowdy bunch stopped to listen, after I had given up hope of more tips.

14. I'm super pumped to have Leonard Cohen's "So Long, Marianne" in my repertoire. That song was written for accordion. Not too hard, and sounds really great! Can't wait to have it recognized.

The end. I was going to play again today since it's so warm out, but I simply don't feel like it. Next stop: St. Augustine, Florida!

No comments:

Post a Comment