Saturday, December 13, 2014

Sophie's Smokin' Cheesebox

Happy Holiday Season, folks!  This December is sort of a milestone, because it's my fifth elf season.  Crazy that it's already been five years (actually, four, right) since I first bought green fabric and studied elf costumes online while designing mine.

Here's a throwback to my first-ever day elf busking, in Copley Square, Boston:


Let's see...no elf shoes, no elf ears, no petticoat, no hand warmers, no paint job on box (it looks so naked!), no pretty sign, and certainly no puppet.  I didn't yet own a backpacker backpack, since I ditched that red pack in favor of the day pack that came with my big pack that Christmas.  I was using these red nylon straps I bought on eBay and received in a re-used frozen pierogi box, and I was in my reddish hair phase.  When this photo was taken I had never played in Northampton, which is hard to imagine.

Oh, almost forgot, my accordion was a reindeer:


Fast-forward four years, and my act is very different.  I'm a real busker now!  And today, I proved myself to be "hardcore," and I am proud of it.  Here's the "after," split up, since no photo of the two of us together from this elf season has shown up yet:



It was a really fabulous day, which I needed.  Town was hopping since it's the penultimate Saturday before Christmas, the Nutcracker had two shows, and there was a Christmas tree lighting celebration around the corner.  So I set up at 11:30, to make sure I got a spot and to get the lunch crowds, and packed up at 7:00.  Phew!

I was quite uncomfortable at times.  The wind was gusting, and I lost some money as a result.  Be grateful, you Brits and Europeans, that you earn mostly metal!  I alternated periods of being fine to periods of being cold, even after I ran inside to add more thermals while a kind passerby who also happens to be my mother guarded my setup.  My feet hurt, my ears hurt with the pressure of the hat, and my left fingertips were getting inexplicably split open.  My body generally ached from both playing accordion and doing foot-puppetry and the added fatigue of bending my knees and elbows through 4-5 layers of clothing.

And this is why it's a job; why I can call it "going to work," and why I'm satisfied when I come home tired.  Last night, as I was walking to the car, I was following three young guys who had just exited an open mic holding guitars.  One of them suggested "we should play on the sidewalk sometime this summer," and the others enthusiastically agreed.  Right, "this summer."  I resisted the urge to tell them that you're either a busker or you're not, because nobody likes a contrary elf.

It is sessions like today's--marathons, cold, or both--that make me LOVE being a busker, not loathe it, and want to play even more, once my biceps stop spasm-ing.  I am also pleased to call today my second-longest outing ever, at 7.5 hours, just behind the 8 hours on New Year's Eve 2012.  Phew!  I put a lot of time and money into my act, into making it look good, and especially into costumes.  I recently spent more than I made last weekend purchasing more lights, velcro, fabric glue, ribbon, elastic, etc., and was wondering if it was really worth it.  And with quotes like "You deserve something for your costume alone" and "I don't usually give to buskers but you've obviously put a lot of work into this" and just "you look fabulous," I'm sure that it is.  I love my goddamn elf costume.

Before we get to the goodies, I must mention how wonderful the men at Ted's Boot Shop are.  Since I abandoned my old regular spot two weeks ago and set up in front of their shop, they have been welcoming, supportive, and encouraging.  Various employees have invited me to come in and warm up and one reportedly returned to the shop after his break, around my hour six, and announced "Sophie's hardcore!"  It's nice to be appreciated!

It's been a long time since I've written a post full of numbered tidbits, and I've got a whole page of notes.  Here we go!

Saturday, December 13, 2014

1.  I often hear people read my signs aloud, and today included a good one: "Sophie's......smokin'......cheesebox!"  Close!

2. I've discovered the limit of how many movements the human body can do at once: playing accordion, doing a foot-puppet, and smiling are okay, but don't try to additionally wink!

3. Sometimes people will compliment a song, then say "Keep it going!"  And it's often unclear if it's just a "keep up the good work" or if they actually want me to keep that song going.  If they don't and I re-start it, they're like "Uhhh you just played that."  Can't win!

4. There's an old lady in town who often stops by with her walker, and always wants me to play Christmas songs.  I began Jingle Bells for her, and she just lit up when she saw the puppet dancing.  So she gave me strict instructions: "Make her dance faster now!  Faster!!"  I'm going, I'm going!

5. So....my dream came true.  One of my many busker fantasies, this one active since the summer.  A man, just a normal white-haired middle-aged man, not even a metal dude, came up and asked, "How about some Iron Maiden this Christmas?"  !!!!!!  I actually asked if it was a joke, since I have so badly wanted someone to request it.  So I gave him the main riff of "Fear of the Dark" and we were both extremely happy.

6.  Speaking of which, I've been trying to determine which of my songs is least Christmas-y.  "Twin Peaks" and "Werewolves of London" are both in the running, but "Fear of the Dark" is disqualified due to its relevant solstice themes.

7.  I was talking to some "fans" when I heard one of the Ted's Boot Shop guys addressing my crowd as well.  He was saying, "Look at her outfit.  Now look at her marionette's outfit!  They match!"  Aw, thanks, John!!

8. I can't believe I hadn't thought of this before: when you're taking a selfie with someone and that someone is an elf, you're taking a freaking ELFIE.


9. "Game of Thrones...love it!!!" says a passerby.  A really old lady, that is!  "Love it" is right!

10. I had a request for Beer Barrel Polka late tonight, when I had full gloves on, a combination I usually don't agree to, but I was able to do it!  Go figure.

11.  The best part about having a marionette, just saying, is that when you reach down to grab money or whatever you can talk to her, compliment her performance, point out a passerby, etc.  Tonight I secretly fist bumped her, and quickly tried to make it look like I was adjusting something.

12. It was a good night for song recognition: I got specific compliments for Twin Peaks, Wallace and Gromit, Downton Abbey, and Werewolves of London.

13.  How could I forget the clementines!  When I left the house this morning, I put a clementine into my bag to eat later.  When I started playing it was clear that I needed an extra paperweight for my money, so I  implemented the clementine.  Later, I was fishing around for gloves #1 in my bag, and found another clementine, so I added it.  When it was time for gloves #2 I found ANOTHER clementine.  At various points looking in my bag, I found a total of five clementines.  No wonder my bag has been so heavy!  I bring them when I busk, but then never eat them.

14.  It's no secret that beggars don't like me.  My first weekend back, I set up not far from a lady who was begging.  After a while her co-beggar walked by, and when she reached their setup I clearly heard the first one say, "You see what I'm up against?"  I do feel a little guilty, since they'd probably make more money if I wasn't there.  So I've begun giving them money sometimes, since it's in my best interest to be on their good sides, if possible, and I've begun a nice camaraderie with the woman  who sells her crocheted goods.  She stays out late so I walk by her on the way to the car, and I've started giving her my hand-warmers since they still have hours of warmth and I'm done with them.  There isn't a point to this bit here, just thinking aloud, I guess, about the busker vs. beggar debate.

15. Lastly, I saw so many wonderful people that I know, which is always fabulous.  High school people, teachers, former co-workers, parents of friends, "fans," neighbors, you name it.  These people, in addition to strangers, warm my heart and bring me hot chocolates!

This is getting a little too cheesebox, so I'll sign off and go to bed.  I'll feel this in the morning!  (The busking, not the blogging.)

Till next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment