Sunday, February 27, 2011

Baby Beluga in the Deep Blue Sea

I had another very successful day around the Noe Valley farmer's market this morning. I didn't plan for it, usually I go to bed Friday night knowing I'll be getting up to my alarm to play there, and thus resent it (since it involves an alarm). This time I didn't plan for it, since I've neglected my routine of late due to rain, tourism, and friends visiting. The Saturday morning show didn't follow a Friday night of playing, like usual, which also make it less daunting. Despite waking up early, on previous Saturdays I didn't start playing until around 11:00. I woke up naturally today at 10:00 and saw a note from Andrea requesting that I pick up some of our favorite baby broccoli at the Farmer's Market. That reminded me of the event, and I was at my corner with my squeezebox strapped on by 10:47.

This was a seriously fun day, because of the kids. So many kids paraded by on their way to and from the market, and most parents were willing to stop. In a nice diversion from the usual hits of "The Wheels on the Bus" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star," some kids requested "I've Been Working on the Railroad" and "Puff the Magic Dragon." It's always nice to mix things up. One boy did ask for Twinkle. Then he asked for Baa Baa Black Sheep. Then he asked for ABC. After years of studying music, I've learned that these three songs have the exact same tune. The kid didn't seem to notice that I played the same thing three times in a row. It's interesting to follow parents' leads with these songs, as the only distinguishing features are the syllables. Sometimes I'll start playing the melody, see which lyrics the parents start singing, then alter the syllables to match. Same goes for verses of Wheels on the Bus; the parents usually do them out of order (Uh, where I come from the doors have to go open and shut before the driver says "Move on Back!") so I see what they do and go with it. That song usually only lasts two verses anyway.

Most kids were really shy, not having any role in my musical and financial interactions with them. Most "Say thank you!"s and "Say bye-bye!"s were followed by silence. This made it really special when a tiny girl came up and put money in my box. I said thank you and she looked up, made eye contact, smiled, and said, "You're welcome." I also learned today that twins make for extra income. Usually when there are multiple kids, the youngest is granted the responsibility of depositing money in my box. In the case of twins the parents can't just choose one, so I get double the money. There were tons of twins out today (I saw at least five sets), so this phenomenon became apparent to me.

Today reminded me that I love playing for kids. In Provincetown there were kids, in Boston there were some kids (who were more into the elf costume than the music), and best of all, Northampton First Night was full of kids. San Francisco's been lacking in that regard, so my instinct is to appeal to the grown-ups in music and appearance. In anticipation of today's crowd I left behind my sexy boots in favor of my Bert and Ernie earrings. I felt great playing in a wholesome environment of Saturday morning Farmer's Market shoppers and latte sippers who are eager to contribute both to music and to education (my student loans sign). I get more questions about my studies here than anywhere (and fewer questions about my plans that evening), which is refreshing. I didn't play the ^%$#*(&ing Lady Gaga medley once. The songs that are my favorites to play were the ones worth playing: Fly Me To the Moon, Beyond the Sea, and the Amelie songs.

In addition to the professional and emotional fulfillment I received this morning, I also made BANK. I haven't counted yet, but the money was coming in. This was just what I needed after discouraging Tuesday.

But it was hella (as we say here) cold. I had to wear my accordion gloves, which never help my playing.
The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment