Monday, June 20, 2011

Headaches

Played on Monday! I was really surprised I was up for it, since I had gotten up for work at 6:00 that morning. Phew. I just felt like I hadn't been in a really long time, and it was a gorgeous day, so I went. I wore my red and white polka dot dress, which always gets me compliments, and set up at the Pig. I really have to get my trailer done, since I parked super far away.

Not a ton of crazy stuff happened, but then again I didn't stay very long. But here's what happened!

Monday, June 20th, 2011:
When I set up, there was an older couple sitting on the benches. I already had a small crowd: a table inside the Pig waiting for me to play and a family nearby watching in addition to the older folks. I usually start with "Vals de Libunca," the Milladoiro song that I learned first and that my dad loves, but with this many ears on me I wanted to do something recognizable. I played what is probably the Ace song in my repertoire: Beyond the Sea. These older, recognizable songs went over very well ("Fly Me To the Moon" and "La Vie en Rose") being the others. It was just one of those days.

1. I might as well go right into the big drama of the day: the owner of the Patio restaurant. He gave me trouble last year, and has not backed off this year, it seems. He came over and offered to pay me to leave. Hm, maybe I should have considered that. He said that my music was "headachy" and it was distracting his staff. Unfortunately, he knows the rule that buskers can't be heard more than 50 feet. We're exactly 50 feet apart. If it got to the point that he called the police on me, technically he'd win. Ugh. He also complained about my playing the same song over and over. Ha, he's wrong about that. I told him that too: last summer I did in fact loop the Lady Gaga medley over and over, and his first complaint involved that repetition. Since that, I've been careful to not repeat songs for as long as possible for the sake of storeowners/other workers nearby. Anyway, I told him that if he sent someone down to Town Hall to check if there was anyone there, I'd move. He actually did, and two of his employees came to deliver that news. They were super nice about it, and one confessed feeling uncomfortable having to be involved in it. They were surprised when I told them that Patio customers often complimented my playing, and said that they would tell the boss that. They are Ian and Arturo (the latter from Lithuania), and they were super nice. Once I moved they came to talk to me more and apologize. Perhaps they'll be characters in my story this year. The whole thing is really a pain in the ass, since that spot is so good. I really don't want to deal with him all summer. Maybe next time I'll go talk to him and tell him nicely that his customers, staff, and neighboring businesses all like it, so maybe we could come to a compromise. Maybe he'll decide to leave the restaurant business! The irony is that he seems to be German or something: a culture rich with accordion. C'est la vie.

2. As you know, I did move. There are two spots at Town Hall: the big one right in front with ample visibility and audience, and the one on the corner that's a little more private and secluded (Cady's corner). I prefer the less public one, since I'm not yet an expert at my instrument. However, both were open today and I decided to go big or go home (specifically, go big). I set up at the big spot next to Ellie's memorial, where tons of people sat on benches. This meant I had to play well. I use my busking time to try out new songs and practice ones that aren't solid yet, but here people weren't listening to every note. I tried a few weaker songs, bombed, and tried to seamlessly transition into songs I can do in my sleep.

3. Three women were among the crowd on the benches, and Diane came to talk to me. She said she busked when she was younger, and recently picked up the Harmonium. She might try out busking again! One of her friends was Lois, who suffers from Alzheimer's but loves to hear music and sing. Diane danced to all my songs, and lead those around me in rounds of applause. She hooted through both the Beer Barrel Polka and Dynamite. When I packed up I showed her Flaca, whom she gave a spin.

4. A not really mentioned character in my Provincetown story: the tour bus driver. This dumpy middle-aged woman drives the quaint tour bus through provincetown and explains the sights via loudspeaker. I love when she drives by, because I play and smile and her passengers wave and take pictures. She parked the bus in front of Town Hall right as I was playing the Wallace and Gromit theme song. A while later, she waddled over and said "Anyone who takes the time to learn Wallace and Gromit deserves a tip." Thanks! I hope to get to know her more.

5. There's a new henna guy this year! Last year, a young, fit, foreigner was employed strolling the streets of Ptown covered in henna to advertise henna tattoos at the West End Salon. He was usually orange and animal-print. There's a new guy this year, and he's been more purple. I hope to get to know him too!

6. I saw Butch! I'm going to write about Butch when I finally write about last summer, as he is a very important character. Great to see him.

7. A young French guy was excited about Buddy Holly! I was playing Dynamite and was pleased that I saw some young folks approaching, since they usually love it. This group didn't react, but the next song was "Heartbeat." One guy ran back with a big smile and gave me money. Love when listeners surprise me.

8. I finally officially met the man who has been known as "funny hair guy with the cool bike." He is GEORGE THE QUAKER! He was among the crowd sitting on the benches, and he commented on songs as well as Diane. He LOVED Dynamite, which surprised me. When I talked to the group after, he told me about a project he has in mind (Flaca brought it up). He is going to make seagull puppets and set up a puppet show next to the recycling bin in front of Town Hall. The seagulls will discuss recycling and taunt tourists. They're hoping to increase recycling through this initiative. He estimated that it would bring in $800 a day, half of which would be donated to something (I forget what). Great idea. However, no busker is going to let him stay out for as long as it'll take to make $800. George also talked to me about the media activism movement and how easy it is to spread a message or know what's going on through cell phones, cameras, the internet, etc. Cool!

One last thing, before I run off to work:
I realized on Monday that what I am doing is no longer about the money. I don't even look in the box while I'm playing to assess my earnings anymore, nor do I count right away. The only reason I count is because I have to take the money out before playing again, so I might as well see how I did. My goal with this is the story I can tell. I judge the success of each outing not by the money earned, but by the funny comments I get, characters I meet, and crazy stories gained. I'd rather make a little money but have a long post than make a lot of money but not having anything to share about that day. That said, I still have to "play back student loans!"

Okay time for work. Then tomorrow's the big bike trailer building day!

No comments:

Post a Comment