Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Old Posts

There are two days from August that got lost that I didn't write about. I took notes, but unfortunately so much time has passed that I forget what most of them mean. Here they are anyway:

August 4th

Played outside of the candy shop by the Shell Shop.

1. I met Nikita, one of this year's henna boys at the West End Salon. He's from either Ukraine or Bulgaria (notes are confusing), and he was totally into my act. He said he plays guitar, but could never perform. "I suck," he explained with a heavy accent.

2. Someone said "You play nicely." I liked that, since I'm not a good accordion player. Bad accordion players can still play nicely, so that was a good compliment.

3. I saw some kids from Leverett on vacation with their parents. The little girl obviously recognized me, I've subbed in her class, but more importantly my accordion and I made an appearance in her Kindergarten classroom last year as elf and reindeer. Her parents didn't see me and didn't stop.

4. The main event: an old man came out of the shop. He said I could only play there if I got some lessons. He's Italian and he's a musician. He notices every wrong note. He says he wants to support musicians, but bad performance drives him crazy. (Another time I went back there and asked if I could play for a bit if I only played good songs. He smiled and said I could, and said no Italian songs if I was going to murder them." Fair enough.)

5. His comment surprisingly didn't bother me. It made me laugh in spite of myself. I was fine with it until this super nice lady who witnessed the whole thing said not to listen to him, that I sounded great, etc. etc. For some reason her kindness about it made my feelings on the matter turn on the spot, and suddenly i was fighting tears. i've got to get out of this town.

The rest doesn't really need noting. For my own reference:
-Ben Pegg pulled over, didn't talk to me
-Flaca, boy in trouble, buttons
-dog on skateboard
-cell phone girl

August 19th
The day after Carnival! Carnival was awesome because my BFF Kai spontaneously came to visit. He's one of my favorite people in the whole world but we rarely see each other. I bought some piano key fabric and crafted a dress for the occasion. Kai and I walked the parade route in the wrong direction and got lots of attention. I didn't busk, but I had a grand time.

The next day I thought I'd play a bit since I was driving Kai to the ferry anyway. Here's what I can decipher from my notes:

1. A guy from Minnesota said "girl's too fat for me." No idea what that means anymore.

2. Some girls said "We couldn't leave you like that!" I think that means they saw me then came back later with a tip.

3. Kid named Minna, sign language, songs, parents singing. Oh yeah, perfect kid interaction.

4. German boy with beautiful hair, serious girls, looks like Wesley Snipes (the 30 Rock character), sang along with Chim, Somewhere, Morir, What is Love.

5. Accordion in basement for 11 years (someone has).

6. Folks from Buffalo, 43rd anniversary, he's the son of a steel worker (told me life story). "Music helps" (staying married for 43 years).

7. Guy with trombone playing daughter, Long Center in Texas.

8. There was a baby in a stroller with an unconventional toy: a lint roller.

9. Teenage girl from before

10. Lots of people I know! (Jeff and Amy, Yael, Melissa McClung)

No comments:

Post a Comment