Sunday, November 20, 2011

Where the Coffee is Strong and So Are the Women

Yesterday we rocked the streets of Northampton! It was Bag Day, the annual sale day for folks carrying their brown paper bags. Stores were mobbed, and foot traffic was ample. I played for a couple hours between Faces and the Mountain Goat. I like that side of the street, but I had forgotten that a lot of hooligans hang out around there smoking and stuff and it sort of looked like they could be my groupies. Oh well.

It was a very typical afternoon of playing: there was the pianist who asked about how accordions work, thinking about playing one. There was the little girl with her mom who played Flaca. People loved Yann Tiersen. Also...

1. There was an 18-month-old with his dad. He stood at his very tall dad's feet, reaching up to hold his dad's finger, transfixed. The dad explained that he's always had a thing for accordions. The boy's expression didn't change at all, and he wouldn't budge. Adorable.

2. I got a tip for "Ring of Fire."

3. There was a weird, very disheveled looking guy who asked me a lot of questions. Even as some kids came up and I started playing for them, he kept trying to talk.

4. I had an encounter with the worst kind of listener: the musical know-it-all. I was playing "La Vie En Rose" and he stopped me and told me to play it slower, and do just the simply melody rather than the arrangement I do. I started a different song. He protested, telling me to go back to La Vie En Rose and do it that way. Then he asked if I play any Astor Piazzola. I told him it's way too hard for me. He took that to mean I hadn't heard of him, and took a very long time telling me who that was, with a long story about him. Dude, it's Bag Day, I need to play. Then he stayed and listened, which I hated. Luckily my mom came back soon and we left. Ugh.

I saw a ton of people I know, which always happens. Sometimes they recognize me (if I knew them as a kid) and sometimes they don't.

That's pretty much all I remember.

I went back out later while my parents were out to dinner with friends. That was really the best. As my faithful readers know, I love playing at night. I thought about trying to play on the Thornes side of the street, and when I went over there a group was set up. It turned out to be the Coyote Choir, an accordion-guitar-vocals duo that I had heard about and had contacted, but hadn't met. They're super nice, and they sound great. I hope to be friends with them/collaborate. The accordion player had trouble with cold hands, so I showed him my accordion gloves. He wants a pair. I want to start working on a better version! They were packing up, so they gave me that spot, right across from the Cedar Chest.

I love playing at night because people are more relaxed, just strolling, maybe on dates, maybe having drunk something. Accordion is especially good at night because of the relaxed Italian restaurant/Paris Cafe reputation it has. I am also more relaxed at night and play better. The air felt better at night too, probably because the wind had settled down. I ended up only using my left glove (and thus wasted a hand warmer).

1. There was a group of young folks from Boston who were up for the night. The lingered for a while, and gave me a few requests to which they danced ("The Way You Make Me Feel," "Dynamite," etc.)

2. Some Russians came by and asked if I knew a Russian song. I said I didn't, but the Tetris theme song sounds Russian. They were okay with that. I played it, much to the amusement of the Boston folks, and everyone was happy!

3. One girl said she didn't have money, but had an English pound. Nice!

4. A couple walked by and the guy offered me a square of their chocolate. Yesss.

5. Two girls came by and recognized me from First Night. They said they heard the accordion and wondered if it was me.

6. A man named Jesse said he recognized me from Provincetown. I assumed he was just a passerby, but then I saw his stuff. He's a busker too, a harp player. He confirmed that he's the one sometimes playing outside the candy store that I like to play at in Ptown. Cool!

7. A guy told me to play a New Orleans song "Echo Echo." I'll have to look that one up!

8. A bunch of kids came by, and two girls came right up. One said "I play piano!" and the other said "I play violin!" That one saw Flaca and said, "You must have bought that in Mexico!" or something. Smart kid!

9. A group of teenage boys kept walking by, and one danced and tipped me. Love those surprising donors!


10. I made a new set list, and included some of the songs I don't really play anymore ("What is Love?" "Love Me Tender"). They went over well!

I didn't play for long, and when I was done my parents and their dinner mates came by (who I've known my whole life). Having six people standing there listening drew others, and I had the biggest crowd I've had. They applauded after songs! I'm so not used to that, but I played better with them there. These two guys stayed as long as the parents. My mom played Flaca on one number. Having my parents there is always fun because they know my best songs and know what to request.

I'm getting excited to Elf again this year! I need to get started on other shoes, though.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment