Monday, December 5, 2011

Elf in the City

Yesterday I began the 2011 season of Elf busking! Last winter, I sewed an elf costume and played Christmas songs on the streets of Boston. I didn't keep the blog yet. It didn't go very well so I didn't plan to do it again, but here I am. I made a few changes to my costume, mainly constructing new shoes:



I meant to make temporary covers for my favorite Keen sneakers, but I ended up supergluing it all together, so those shoes are now elf shoes. I also wanted to puff out my skirt. I bought a tutu/petticoat last year, but I didn't leave enough room in the skirt to fit it. I wanted to expand it but Jo-ann no longer had green velvet, so I had to use white.

I went just for the day yesterday, and set up on Newbury St. I hadn't actually practiced the Christmas songs, so I was surprised when I was more or less able to play them. Luckily there isn't really anyone who's hearing everything, so it was okay that it took some time to play them right.

There isn't really anything to report. People are very straight in Boston and no one really stopped to talk. I played for a couple lingering children, but that's it. I was actually surprised that I still made my usual hourly rate, because it didn't seem like I was getting any donations.

The fun part was walking through Boston in an elf costume. I got a lot of smiles and thumbs up from children and old men, but no one gave me messages for Santa like they did last year. The whole thing made me miss Northampton, despite the few times I've busked there. I was planning on being there the whole week of December 12-16th, but I might go home early to resume in the Valley. I think I'll try Harvard Square. You need a permit, and I'd rather not pay for it, but it could be worth it.

The one thing worth mentioning is my new favorite busker. I was at Park St. waiting to get on the red line back to the car, and there was this Asian lady probably in her thirties playing guitar and singing to a Christmas kareoke cd. I just loved her. We came in during "Feliz Navidad." She was just so smiley and cheerful, and her accent made "Feliz Navidad" so charming. She thanked everyone for donations, and was super impressed when this guy threw a quarter across the rail and landed it right in her box. I knew that if I was a regular Boston busker she's someone I would get to know.

The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment