Saturday, December 24, 2011

Hanging Up the Elf Shoes

Just got back from my last time busking as an elf this year! Woo-hoo! (Don't worry, I'll still be an elf to go to the airport tomorrow to get my brother and at the subsequent holiday parties).

It's way past bedtime, but once the Christmas festivities start I certainly won't have time to blog, so I wanted to get it down quickly now before I forget:

Friday, December 23, 2011
First: I played briefly last Tuesday. A down-on-his-luck looking man showed up to collect for the Salvation Army. I thought he was totally bogus and it was a scam to get money: he wore a Salvation Army hat, rang a ratty old bell and held out a stocking. Eek. But then someone delivered the actual collection bin and good bell, so he was legit! As it turned out, he used to play bells in a band, and he's a really good percussionist! He played along, and did all sorts of fancy moves (triplets, vibrato-ish rattling at the ends of songs). Nice.

Tonight, 5:15-9:00, Faces:
1. Two women walked by, mid-conversation about elves: "....just like that! [Points to me.] A little elfy!" I said, "I'm more than a little elfy." She said, "Yeah, you don't get any elfier." (My spell-check is having a field day)

2. A young woman asked me if I'm the one on Youtube who she saw playing Twin Peaks. I confirmed that I was, and played it for her! When I learned it I was reeeeeally hoping for people to request it. Done and done!

3. Two adorable toddler twin boys held hands and watched, totally mesmerized. Cute.

4. A man told me a history of my elf shoes: he said the curly-toed shoe tradition is from Norway. These shoes easily hook onto your homemade skis!

5. A man asked if I was a real elf, and if my toes actually curl. I should have been telling people that all along!

6. I ran into a man named Nol (sp?) who looked familiar. He placed me before I placed him: he vends at the Wellfleet Flea Market in the summers, and we chatted when I bought vintage Valentines with accordions on them last summer. This is a man who likes to talk. I remember that from last summer, that he went on and on. Same thing happened tonight, he came over at least twice and talked and talked. Lots of potential customers went by!

7. A guy dropped $11 in the box and said that he honestly had found it on the street and that it must be mine. Wow. Nice guy.

8. "This is for your tights...and shoes...and hat...and everything."

9. "This is for degrading yourself by dressing like an elf." Hey!

10. A man asked for "O Holy Night," which I agreed to limp through, since it's not one of my stronger songs. I made quite a few mistakes, and he said, "Well I was going to give you a dollar but you missed some notes." JK!

11. A guy said that he's working the door at the club Elevens tonight and invited me to play in the foyer between bands, since people will have singles! That was nice of him. The thing I liked about this conversation was that he said, "Sounds good!," I said, "Thank you!," then he said, "You're welcome," in this funny, aside sort of voice. You had to be there.

12. A man complimented my costume, and we talked about what other holidays I could dress up for. He suggested Columbus Day. Hmm. "Just imagine all the possibilities!"

13. A guy dropped in a tip while chewing. This isn't uncommon, but he was holding a bottle of hot sauce. Got to keep warm somehow!

14. An interesting character who later introduced himself as "Meatball" made an appearance. He was walking with a cane with no hook, and recommended that I hide some money, as many others do. He said that kids come up on the bus from Holyoke and "scout" which buskers make money to rob. Eek!

15. A man exclaimed, "10 points for Gryffindor!" as he dropped in his tip. That's a first!

16. My parents listened at the end! I always love that because a) they bought me my accordion and I like to make them proud; b) when they listen it looks like a crowd so others listen; c) they know my songs so they make intelligent requests; and d) extra security!

17. While my folks were there these two guys stopped to listen. One was smoking a cigar, and asked if I knew this old carol which he started singing. I didn't, but my mom joined him in song. He asked about another Italian one, then we agreed that I'd play "Santa Lucia," but I couldn't find the key. In the end I played the Godfather theme, and with a little nudging from his friend he sang. Turns out he's a professional singer! He sounded fabulous, obvs, and it was really nice. Great way to end the night!

Okay time for a warm winter's nap. Thanks, Northampton, for being great to an Elf! See you next year!

Love,
S + S's S' S

No comments:

Post a Comment