Sunday, April 1, 2012

Goodbye for now, Edinburgh!

Yesterday was our last Saturday here for a while! I didn't play for long, and thus don't have much to report.

Saturday, 31 March 2012:
Finished choir rehearsal around 1:00, and decided it was too late for it to be worth setting up at the Farmer's Market. But then I thought about lunch. The plan was to have some haggis at the market to fuel me until I got back to Scotland. I figured I would swing by the market just for haggis, then go set up on the RM. Then, I remembered that I had literally no money on me. It was clear that I had to set up next to the haggis and play just long enough to purchase lunch! I was glad to see that the usual haggis guy was back. He'd been gone for many weeks, and he explained that he had driven his lorrie (that's a truck, right?) to Porto to see his daughter, and drove it back full of granite slabs or something. Must have been rough on the ol' transmission!

1. I had another visit from baby Amelie, who shook her rattle in perfect rhythm with my music. She put money in Flaca's little box.

2. Since choir rehearsal had just let out nearby, I thought I might see some folks. I did see one singer, whose name I don't know, as well as the double bass player in the orchestra. Cool!

3. About that: my dress was a big hit at rehearsal! Of course they all thought I wore it specially for the Messiah. Their eyes widened when I removed my "cardi" and exposed the entire dress. Lots of jokes about playing it.

4. The highlight was my weekly visit with Clara and her family. She is the awesome 4-year-old I've mentioned before, with the nicest parents. They hung around for a bit and treated me to a hot chocolate! Clara had a ballet recital the previous weekend, and she showed me some ballet, to the delight of some passersby. She had seen Amelie tip in Flaca's box, and explained to her parents that the small box is for babies to put money in, but she had put money in the big box. Her parents were very supportive about my upcoming trip!

Time to pack up and....the haggis was sold out! Nooooo! I continued on to the RM which was terrible. There's an older chap who plays his bagpipes on the corner of High St. and Cockburn, where I like to set up. Damn. I went one more block down, but people weren't tipping. Packed up pretty soon after.

5. I hate the stag parties so much. This group had annoying matching t-shirts, and the groom, with a beer in one hand and cigarette in the other, wore a white veil and a ball and chain around his ankle. Real classy. I know it's all for fun, but who would marry a guy who finds that funny?

6. Guy driving a car got my attention and threw a pound at me. Had to chase it a bit, but it was one of like two tips.

7. Know what I hate just as much as stag parties? Child leashes. One little toddler toddled by on her leash, while her oblivious parents tugged her along. She clearly wanted to listen, and just resorted to waving as she was dragged along.

8. A guy walked by and held up two middle fingers. It turns out it was for his friend walking by me. Later he came back and said, "I walked by but didn't put anything in. It's not much, but here you go!" So generous and friendly for a guy who flips double-birds!

That is all. Then today, Sunday 1 April....

I spent most of the day at my new choir's post-concert luncheon. Some ladies suggested I bring my accordion, so I did and was introduced as the entertainment at the end. Played a few songs, and everyone sang. Pretty normal, except that this is a good choir of like eighty people! They produced such a beautiful, powerful sound, complete with harmonies! The Scottish songs went over especially well. I wanted to just stop playing and listen.

On the walk home, it was beautiful out and I had my accordion anyway, so I set up for a bit even though I wasn't piano dressed! Set up on Princes St. at Castle, and it was terrible. Lots of people. Two tips. It's really the wrong crowd. Total waste of time because I should be packing for.....


My tour! Leaving Tuesday morning for a two-month tour of Europe. It'll mostly be just visiting people/tourism, but I do want to try to busk in a few places. I'll keep you updated!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment