Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Don't Encourage Him!"

Today was a really nice day of busking. It was HOT! Like actually a warm day. In the morning I met up with Martin to film the interview part of the documentary. Flaca gave an interview as well, but I had to translate. I wasn't planning on busking since I'm seriously behind on many things (practicing the Messiah for choir, cleaning my room, and planning my impending Europe trip, for example), but it was just such a gorgeous day and I was already wearing my piano dress so I went for it. Around 2:00 I headed out through the Meadows to the Middle Meadow Walk. I decided not to play there. There were already two buskers: an older guy on guitar and a gorilla playing a drum set. Yep. Must have been hot! In addition to the competition, most of the people about were students, who are notoriously broke. I continued on to the Royal Mile. Here's what happened:

Sunday, 25 March 2012
I walked down the Royal Mile, and I heard a voice say, "There she is!" It was Todd Various, magician/escape artist extraordinaire. He's an outgoing American with an orange-themed act, and he was sitting atop some sort of electrical box in the company of Tom, the busker from yesterday, Robbie, a 15-year-old busker I hadn't met yet, and another man whose name I didn't catch. He invited me to come hang out, but I said I had to get to work. They said not to bother. I guess despite the sun it was a crap day for tips! I lingered for a bit, and sat up on the box. This was so nice; the sun felt so good and I was soon down to just my dress. It was really nice to talk to these guys, who are pro buskers. I've been trying to figure out my visa, and Todd was really helpful in discussing that. Tom had some wisdom about where to and to not busk in Europe. It's fun hanging out in a group like this, you hear nonchalant lines that you hear in no other context. I asked Robbie about his busking, and he said, "Todd and I had the same magic teacher, so we both ended up here." Of course. These are all guys who use the "circle pitch," a big circle which gives you room to do crazy stuff: juggling, escapes, fire swallowing, etc. A Steve gave it a go, despite the terrible crowds. He juggled swords, swallowed a sword, and his grand finale was lying down, putting a bed of nails over his torso, having a grown man stand on it, and swallowing fire at the same time. The crowd did indeed suck! It was funny hearing Todd's commentary through it though, about how he totally called what Steve was going to do, talking along with the jokes, and pointing out one that he wrote.

At one point, some men walked by with a megaphone, from which the one in charge spouted religious who-knows-what. It was very loud, and Todd wasn't okay with it. He tried to think of a way to ask them to quiet down, and finally ran into a bagpiper that owed him money. He had this piper go right next to him and start playing at his command. Guess it worked!

It was great just sitting with these guys, because I finally felt like I fit in. Usually I don't befriend the other buskers because I'm competitive or they are, or something. This was really nice. And all the vendors were out chatting with us too. Next time I'll know more people to say hi to en route to work!

Anyway, around 4:00 or so we disbanded. Todd set up his show, Tom went to some other event, and I set up at Charlie Chaplin's spot. This was nice, I was pretty near Todd, right across from a visual artist, and I could hear bagpipes but it was still a great spot. I was in the sun for most of it, which felt so good!

1. Two guys stopped to listen during "I've Just Seen a Face." We discussed other Beatles songs I could do, and I played "Let It Be." They stuck around for a few songs, and I learned that one is Mexican and one is Turkish. The Mexican one unfortunately didn't recognize "Morir Soñando." They did recognize Amelie songs though, and the Turkish guy sang the one he wanted to hear. It wasn't one I know, but they settled for "A Quai."

2. Some other folks joined them in watching me, and I actually had a little crowd! I asked for requests, but no one spoke. Finally a man mentioned "Molly Malone," the traditional Irish song with so many other names. Thanks to a practice round on St. Patty's Day, I winged it pretty well.

3. I had some technical difficulties. First off, my new straps are installed! They're really great. This is the first time I've had brand new straps, and they're super padded and nice. They are a bit big though, and I had to poke extra holes to get them to fit. However, I got them to fit over my standard four sweaters ("jumpers," as I'm trying to say now). Since I was down to just my dress, they were loose and I couldn't poke more holes without the appropriate tools! What I did was grab a red bungee and pull the straps together in the back. It was a bit uncomfortable, but did the trick. Also, I forgot the little white wrist-support thing that I try to wear, which meant the accordion was whacking my metal wrist which is always uncomfortable. Lastly, my dress is bad! It was made hastily, and the bodice was very boring. Right before coming here, I did some work to give it a more stylish top. It really doesn't look good, and the alteration made it a bit skimpier than I would like. Those standing on my side could see a bit more than I'd like, so I'll have to start wearing a shirt under it.

4. Someone said I have a good combination of look and sound. Mission accomplished!

5. An old guy walked by in full Scottish apparel, carrying a bagpipe case. He looked very stern and I anticipation castigation for being in his spot or playing badly or something. Instead, he tipped me and said something about the sun!

6. I was definitely performing more than usual. I think it was a combination of giving my interview and talking to Todd and everyone that did it. In the interview, I talked about how it's best to be theatrical and try to look passionate and everything, and with Todd I just observed the pure theatrics of his personality and act alike, which was inspirational. I think of my act as being really different from the circle acts; that I get away with not interacting with folks as much, but it always helps! I found myself talking to people unsolicited more and making some jokes, in addition to trying to play super passionately. These people can see that I'm a performer, so I might as well act like one! For the record, during Danny Boya man tipped, clearly for that song choice. I told him, "Thanks, but I could still mess up the good part!" I'll probably be recycling that one.

7. A man who looked Latin-American of some sort asked if I'm Czech. I said no. He said that my setup looked Czech, with the accordion and the dancing doll. I said that Flaca's from Mexico, thinking he'd be super pumped! My racial profiling proved unsuccessful for the umpteenth time when he could not have cared less about that piece of information.

8. The Godfather theme hasn't provoked too many comments yet here, but one guy sang/danced along with it today!

9. A young man stopped by to take some pictures on his 35mm camera. I feel bad, I played a hard song while he was shooting, and kept looking down as he snapped. Wasted a few shots. He came back later to talk, and we're friends now. He's from Vancouver, and he's studying cardiovascular surgery in Norwich, England. (It took me all day to figure out why I'd heard of Norwich; finally remembered that Winky from the movie "Best in Show" is a Norwich Terrier!) As you may know (but probably don't, because why would I have ever mentioned this in an accordion blog?), I've always had a thing for medical students. For some reason med students are more appealing even than doctors, and definitely more than students of anything else. I think it's because of my secret big interest in medicine. Anyway, this particular med student is super cute. No English accent though. Anyway...I'll be in Southern England before too long.

10. This old crazy guy stopped by as I was talking to Matt. He had a big grey beard minus the beard; so big mustache/mutton chops. He was wearing a kilt and nice boots. He had exchanged words with Todd earlier, and he seems to have ample funny things to say. Some French youths stopped and posed for a picture with me, and the old guy invited himself into the picture. He loudly said, "It's a beautiful day here in Glasgow! Oh no, I got on the wrong train again!" which was clearly part of a well-worn comedy routine that he does. He mentioned playing my piano dress. Later, when I was walking away, he was lurking near other vendors. He yelled after me, asking when he could play my dress. I said "Anytime!" A grumpy vendor listened in and said, "Don't encourage him!!"

11. During "Don't Stop Me Now" a lady tipped, saying "That was unexpected!" Yesss, totally the point of the pop songs.

12. That reminds me, earlier some guys commented on the Queen and asked for more. I really have to shake a leg arranging Bohemian Rhapsody!

13. A man told me about the Insider Festival somewhere up North, and encouraged me to play there. Will have to check it out!

14. I talked to a middle-aged woman from Canada. She's from the West Coast, but after she's done touring the UK, Ireland and Spain she's going to fly to New York, travel up to the East Coast of Canada, then buy a "hippie van" and drive cross-country. Go her!

15. I was playing "All of Me," and some young men stopped and sang along. A lot of pressure for a new song!! Turns out they're from Amsterdam. I told them about my trip, and they recommended Couch Surfing. Maybe I'll end up surfing with them! I asked for their favorite song to play, and one said "Oh When the Saints Go Marching In." Improvised it pretty well, even with some fancy stuff! I wanted to include the harmony on "Oh how I want to be in that number," so the second time around I stopped and announced that I wanted to do it, practiced the harmony, then played it with the melody and they were patient and confirmed that it was worth it! Fun fun.

16. Posed for lots of pictures. Of course, many didn't tip. I'm really trying to not smile until they tip, and follow them down the road with my eyes after they don't tip. Often the pictures come from the other side of the street. One guy did come back today after photographing and not tipping and getting a nice glare. Not sure if this tactic worked or if coming back was his idea.

17. An adorable little girl came over a few times. She exclaimed, "That!" about Flaca, and checked her out. She was more interested, as it turned out, in the accordion. I let her play some keys, and she did a good exploration of high notes and low notes.

18. A 12-ish-year-old with a camera outgoingly asked (in an American accent?) if she could photograph my dress. I released the accordion to give her a full view, and she said she wants to be a fashion designer. Good for her!

19. A lady walked by in a Cape Cod sweatshirt. I yelled something like "Yeah Cape Cod!" and she acknowledged me but didn't smile or talk or anything. Lame. Wouldn't it be so cool if I saw a tourist here who was a tourist in Ptown and saw me there? Happened with Boston/SF.

As I said, I tried to be super into songs. Tapping feet, dancing a little, leaning forward and back to use the optimal bellows, etc. It really worked, I played better and people watched! Looking forward to the crazy summer months. I love playing when it's hot!! I'm so much more used to playing when it's cold!

We celebrated Daylight Savings today, so it was still mega light out at 6:30, when I quit. A little unnerving actually, it was such a drastic shift! I would have kept playing to the get dinner crowd, but it was choir night. Still a great day busking!

P.S. No one recognized Twin Peaks. How weird is that??

No comments:

Post a Comment