Thursday, January 13, 2011

Quick Relevant Post

Back from busking, day two! It would be so easy to go to bed, but I am going to be strong and jot down some stuff about San Francisco busking.

Busked on 18th and Castro twice. Both times the spot was open, and within a few minutes of starting another busker showed up, hoping to score that spot. Denieeeeddd. It's a very good spot outside Bank of America, because it has an area where the sidewalk widens where you can set up without impeding foot traffic. Also, it's at a stoplight so people have to stop and listen, whether they like it or not, or they get run over. It's also near two bus stops, so people getting off the bus suffer the same fate.

I went for a new look today, rather than doing my usual red polka dots. I reeeeally want piano tights, but they don't seem to exist. I bought black and white striped tights, which were the closest I could get, and wore them. I pretty much wore all black otherwise, so it was the mime-iest outfit yet. I did get compliments on the tights, but what I want to do is get a pair of solid white tights and sew the left leg to the right striped one. I will then put stickers on the white leg to look like the buttons, so my tights will match my accordion! Voilá!

Right when I set up, a man with an inflatable couch set up right next to me. He said he was just going to pass out cookies, and wouldn't be there more than an hour. He literally had a tray of delicious looking homemade cookies, and he passed them out. I was a bit nervous, especially because his first clients were children, but they didn't immediately fall over upon biting into them, so they couldn't have been THAT poisonous. He travels around just passing out cookies and meeting people, I guess. He was talkative and definitely in my space, so I can't say I was too sad when the police came over and asked him to move, since his couch was taking up a lot of the sidewalk. He grumbled to me saying it was the third time that day that happened.

The good news is that if I was going to get busted for playing without a permit, it would have been then. Cops doing their job came over, and didn't say a word to me (I think they even loitered to listen). I don't know the permit laws for the rest of the city, so I was going to risk it and claim that the information was impossible to find online (fact) if I was reprimanded.

A man told me he had a "Lady of Spain" story. This is actually the second time that I've heard that, but I can't remember the first Lady of Spain story. This one involved Bob and Terry, a latino couple. They were supposed to go to their high school prom together, but Bob stood Terry up. Ten years later he heard "Lady of Spain" on the radio, and it reminded him of Terry. He looked her up, she forgave him, and they got married. They were married for 52 years, until Bob died. I truly love when people share these stories with me, and this is why I need to keep the blog, so I remembered them.

A little boy walked by and, for the first time ever in San Fran, his caregiver allowed him to stop and listen. I asked his favorite song, expecting the usual catalog of "The Wheels on the Bus," "Old MacDonald," "Twinkle Twinkle," etc. Instead he asked me to play "God Bless America." Uhh, how does that one go? I limped through it, and he seemed satisfied. Sure you don't want "El Himno de Andalucia?" Soon after a man walked by and asked if I take requests. I granted his proposal, and he asked for "You Can't Always Get What You Want." He was a great coach, allowing me to play back each phrase he sang before continuing. Not a bad addition to my repertoire.

"Fly Me To the Moon" has been popular here. It never got much of a response in Ptown, but in SF it has made several couples dance at the street corner. One man even stated "That's my song!" I hope this trend continues, because it's a song I really like to play. As usual, Lady Gaga is good for business; I love the moment when people recognize the opening as Bad Romance and sing along, not infrequently clawing along as well. The problem with setting up at a streetlight is that people tend to cross when the light changes whether they're done listening to me or not. Therefore, some people recognize the song in the middle of the crosswalk and look back and grin, but that doesn't make me any money (fine, grinning is nice too, but I have expensive taste in shoes).

Sunday, when I played before, a couple started dancing, but the song wasn't conducive. I switched to a waltz and they ripped up the sidewalk around me. It was awesome. I met a Swiss man who was sure I was European. I really don't know any Swiss songs.

I was given a dude's number today! He wrote me a note on an uncharacteristic piece of butterfly-and-flower stationary. He's a piano player and composer, and teacher piano. I actually would like to pick up some tips on teaching instruments. The jury is still out on whether or not this man is actually Paul Giamatti, or just a look-alike.

Oh, a man finally recognized "Losing My Religion," and spoke up. I think it's one of my stronger songs, and I'm always disappointed that people don't react to it, or don't show it if they do.

It really is striking, as a busker, how few kids there are in this city. I forget the statistic, but San Francisco has the least kids per capita of any city, ever, or something. They say there are more dogs than kids, which doesn't surprise me. Kids are a busker's dream come true, because they're curious and fascinated and will ask for songs, and they all want to put money in the box so the parents dish it out (but more importantly, I feel happy showing kids an instrument, and hopefully inspiring them to play music). That really hasn't happened here. I played some requests (Twinkle Twinkle and Jingle Bells) for a girl eating cookies when Sofa Man was still there, but she and God Bless America boy have been the only ones so far. Although the kids might not hang out in the Castro, come to think of it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try a new spot, where there are more tourists. Hopefully around the California St. cable car, or by the Ferry Building at Union Square. I'm getting pumped for the weekend and Farmer's Markets!

Oh, today I went to Berkeley and looked around a couple used bookstores. I scored some new sheet music, which I'm excited to study.

Till next time, Sophie's Smokin' Squeezebox.

No comments:

Post a Comment