Friday, January 28, 2011

Some other days

Before last Tuesday, I played last Friday night and Saturday morning. There was not too much to report, but there's a little.

Friday night I went to the Castro. Once again, "my" spot had been taken by Aborto, the boys I tried playing with on MLK day. They have a "real" guitar, a funny homemade guitar, and a saw played with a violin bar. And they sing. I chose a spot outside a closed store near the movie theater which was good, because there was a long line outside the movie theater. In those cases, I try to play songs that everyone likes ("Fly Me To the Moon" is higher ranked than "Tetris Theme Song for 20 Minutes" in this category.) While I was playing a naked guy wearing red boots walked by. This is the second naked guy I've seen in the Castro. Hm. The highlight of this night was this older gentlemen who heard a song and commented, "That's beautiful! Is it Russian? What's it called?" I smiled and said "Bad Romance." (Lady Gaga, by the way. NOT Russian.)

Tonight I met Joan (like Miró, a boy). I had seen him before wheeling/hauling his music gear by me those nights when victory was mine regarding the corner of 18th street (HA!) but we had never talked (besides blowing raspberries behind his back). He approached me and we talked spots. He was also bummed to have seen Aborto in the good spot. He set up very close to me, which made me nervous cause he had an amp, but actually didn't play until he had assessed my volume. +50 points. After a bit, Aborto walked by me. They said they had packed up. I don't think I have ever moved faster. I kept my accordion strapped on, threw my backpack over one shoulder, and grabbed my box, wheels, and bungees and booked it to the corner. Luckily it was downhill. I got the spot, and continued playing at double speed, because my heat was beating really fast from moving that quickly.

Also this night I met a girl who had just come back from Paris. She certainly looked it with her red lipstick and boots. We talked a little, and I wish I had let all my guard down and said "LET'S BE FRIENDS" because I feel like from what I saw we would be friends, but now I probably won't see her again. Oh well.

After I packed up (hunger and evening chills got the better of me), I walked a bit and talked to Aborto in their new location and Joan. It turns out Aborto is from Michigan and are sort of on tour. They play until they have enough gas money to get to a new location. They were planning to leave the next morning for Los Angeles. I really like their sound, very folky with great harmonies. Dave, the one who's not John, has a really great singing voice. They gave me their demo CD but it's with their whole electric band and it's really weird.

Joan, as it turns out, lives right near me. I've been wanting to check out the bars right near my house, but not alone, so now I have someone to go with. We exchanged numbers but haven't met up yet. Unfortunately Aborto's gone, but if I ever need a full street band for a wedding or something I know have guitar (Joan), sax (Anthony), and myself.

As for Saturday, I don't remember much fun stuff. I planned to play at the Noe Valley Farmer's Market right by home, but there was a legit stage with a band, so I went back to the Ferry Building (fb). However I realized that I could have still just played on the street, cause there was a ton of foot traffic. I'm going to make babysitting mini-flyers and play there tomorrow and pass them out, since local kids go by a lot.
I got a good spot at the ferry building. There was a Raging Granny. And a pro-choice rally. And an orange vendor who like Lady Gaga, but what else is gnu? Although I did learn that taking the J Church to Market then transferring to the F Market is not the way to get there. It takes foreeever. Emma told me to stay on the J until Embarcardero, which is much faster. I did that on Tuesday, and it is! I'm glad I discovered that, since I have much more playing time now and less commuting time.

Off to play in the Castro, or maybe meet up with a new friend for dinner!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment