Friday, July 22, 2011

Birthday Busking

Busked on my birthday. Last year, it was okay. I suffered a huge disappointment when it rained on my birthday, so I postponed my birthday money-making plans by a day. On July 20th my accordion and I donned our party hats and a confusing sign that said “It’s my birthday and our first anniversary!” and received birthday well-wishes, high-fives, and declarations of camaraderie from others who “shared” my birthday. I figured all this and more would happen again if I played on my real birthday, but, alas, it was a bit of a disappointment.

The good news is that I got my spot. I was there late enough in the day that not everyone was on the beach (3:30-6:30), but people weren’t biting. The only party hats that the Christmas Tree Shops had when I went were pink with pink fur that said "Princess." Good enough. Our sign was better this year, focusing more on the birthday, with a little "and my anniversary with my accordion" on the bottom. This would have been a good day for the Patio man to come complain, since the birthday card probably would have worked. Here's what happened!

Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 (my 23rd birthday):

1. A girl with a ukelele came by. Fellow musicians like to talk or donate, right? Nah, what she dropped into my box was a cigarette and a flyer for a piercing place. Thanks. There was a middle-aged couple sitting on the bench right there, and the man was smoking a cigarette. I gave it to him, after dismissing the idea of hanging onto it till I saw that girl busking and giving it back.

2. A little girl did a really good job of dancing Flaca! Usually they suck, but she got a good bounce going on. They're local, and her mom took a babysitting flyer!

3. Might as well bring out the good story: Crazy Dave. Two middle-aged men stopped to listen, and one was wearing a Key West shirt. I am once again looking into Key West as my winter spot, so I've been asking some strangers about it. This guy did offer some useful information about the busking rules, complaining that they messed up the whole town. I don't know if they messed it up by permitting buskers at all, or by making it difficult for buskers to get permits. I'm going to assume the latter. It came out that they live in Worcester! Apparently Dave is a co-owner of Ralph's Diner, a bar that gives gigs not infrequently to a friend's band. I guess the original Ralph gave it to Dave before he died? We talked about my birthday, and I admitted turning 23. Dave and his friend were immediately excited. One explained that Dave, for a while, only dated 23-year-olds because his birthday is on the 23rd. He said he can't keep it up now that he's past fifty, but jokingly texted his girlfriend Kim (who I guess is in on the joke) that he's leaving her because he found a 23-year-old. They told me to go up to the caricature artist, who I suspected shared my birthday, and mention "Crazy Dave from Ralph's" and that the artist would give me more wisdom than he possibly could. I'll have to do that. He said he always gives the artist weed that he's grown from Canadian seeds, and that he'll bring me some next time. Shades of San Fran? They left, but Dave forgot his iPhone. Sure enough, they came back later to retrieve it. Dave said, "I don't really care about my iphone; what I care about is my wallet" (which he pulled out, safe in his pocket). Even so, he was relieved to get it back and celebrated by taking their picture with me. I asked them to take my official birthday picture:



4. There were some kids. For one little boy, I played "I've Been Working on the Railroad." He lit up and smiled and watched, but his oblivious parents dragged him down the street. Some vacation! A little girl named Scout set up near me selling her artwork. That is all.

5. Believe it or not, people doubted it was my birthday! Lots of people stopped and asked, "Is it REALLY your birthday?" but didn't donate once I confirmed it. I actually taped my ID to the sign as proof. It was annoying that I got more congratulations and birthday wishes and fewer doubters last year when it wasn't actually my birthday. That was the big bummer. It was nice though when people did believe me and wish me a big happy birthday. I did get some tips that people said were specifically birthday presents. I went home that day with four 5-dollar bills which haven't been showing up much this year.

6. Amelie was big! Once lady responded to "La Noyee" with a simple "That's my favorite movie!" and another asked if I knew any Amelie songs. I played my favorite and she tried to sing along but it was obvious that it wasn't one she knew well.

7. I played "Chim Chim Cheree" and a young man came over and said "They made us learn the words to that in school!" "To Chim Chim Cheree?" "That wasn't [Russian title]?" "No." "Oh, well they made us learn the Russian words to that one. Do you know it?" [Sings.] I did not recognize it. "Oh yeah, that one! My favorite!"

8. A man introduced himself and asked if I came often. Turns out he works for a local TV station and has been trying to get footage of Provincetown, including buskers. It seems we both go out sporadically, but hopefully he'll make me a star!

9. I ran into some family friends who I've seen a few times on the Cape. They hung out and listened and suggested some songs, and "Ring of Fire" came up. I had forgotten where I got the idea to play it, but this was it! Last summer they suggested it and apparently I limped through it. I didn't add it to the repertoire till the winter, so I guess their suggestion stayed on the back burner. Cool!

10. Generally speaking, people were bad about taking my picture without tipping. One woman was guilty of this, and she was even named Sophie as well. You'd think Sophies would stick together!

11. A family stopped, and it was made clear that one of their children was, in some way, just like me. I asked the boy, "Do you play the accordion?" No. I asked the older girl, "Is it your birthday?" No. Turns out the younger girl is a Sophie as well! We took a picture together.

12. A family stopped and said it was their aunt's birthday too, who was approaching. I played her happy birthday and they tried to sing along, but it was a really bad key. So we played it again in a new key, but it was unrecognizable on my end due to accidental accidentals. The end.

13. A teenage boy asked if I could play any Zelda. I said no, and he said "I would have freaked out if you could!" Phew, good thing we avoided a freak-out!

14. I met a girl with an accordion tattoo! She said she was an accordion player as well, then confirmed it by lifting her shirt sleeve slightly to reveal a beautiful accordion adorned with "Main Squeeze," the New York based accordion orchestra. I've been thinking about getting an accordion tattoo, and hers was definitely a vote for it. I wish I had gotten a pic!

15. My co-worker Jamie came by with some ice cream, and gave me a lick. I decided that I wasn't going to leave Ptown that night without a free ice cream cone for my birthday. I succeeded at Twisted Sister's, but they didn't let me pick my flavor. The girl working gave me a twist soft serve and sang me Happy Birthday in her Eastern European accent, pausing so I could fill in my own name.

16. As I was headed out wearing my party hat, a brusk woman stopped and asked if I do birthday parties. The conversation continued for a while before she actually asked what was in the box. She said she'd hire me to play her friend's birthday the next day. I said maybe, and told her to call me once I checked my work schedule (such a good liar! I knew I was done at three!). I was relieved that she didn't call me. Professionally, I couldn't say no to my first birthday party offer, but I really didn't want to drive all the way to Ptown, risk embarrassment, and do business with this kind of scary lady. Good to know that wearing a party hat gets me gigs, though!

That is all! Time to quickly write other posts before the library closes!

No comments:

Post a Comment