Saturday, July 23, 2011

Snap Shows 1

The evening of my birthday, after buskinhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifg, I performed at a real event! I recently came into contact through babysitting with Ellen Anthony, a local performer known for her children's work, Quirky Circus

She was getting ready for a show for adults and asked me to join her. Snap shows are short little shows based on the snatches of dreams one remembers when waking up. This performance had five shows: three short and two long. i played during the lone lighthearted show, called simply "Accordion," featuring two of Ellen's puppet/figures dancing to an original accordion composition. I played while they danced, once even dancing on my accordion. Ellen opened this number by removing the Kleenex from a travel pack, folding them, and playing them like an accordion, to the amusement of the crowd. I also played the interludes while Ellen changed the set. She wanted songs that were lighthearted (but I opted for some minor keys to match the background music) and not too cliche. I played Vals de Libunca (Milladoiro), Morir Sonando, Tico Tico, and La Noyee (from Amelie) for those who follow my repertoire.

This was a really fun creative expression. I got to use my music in a way that was familiar, since it my same old songs, but mixed with a whole new medium. I really would love to collaborate with her again. Additionally, Ellen has inspired me to try to compose my own music, and incorporate Flaca (my Mexican marionette for those of you just tuning in) into my act more. More on Ellen in another post, if I ever get caught up.

The show took place at Gallery Ehva, which is a nice space. The acoustics are good, although it was hot and buggy. The best part is that it scored me a gig playing a gallery opening there next Friday! Hopefully this will be a positive deviation from the usual use of my accordion. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment