Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Couple of Boring Unproductive Days

There were a couple of days where I busked a little bit, didn't make money, had nothing interesting happen, and generally felt like going out was a waste of time. Might as well write a quick post about these days!

Tuesday, 21 Feb (I think):
Royal Mile.

1. There was a new statue out, a guy who looked like a caveman, who I think was supposed to be some sort of revolutionary hero. It wasn't a good act; he wasn't perfectly still like some statues, nor did he do anything interesting like others. Maybe I caught him at a bad time. He was closer to the spot I wanted than I would have liked.

2. A lady saw me and rolled her eyes. I really wish I had yelled after her something like, "You know, not tipping is sufficient to get your point across, ma'am." Things like that are just so unnecessary. It takes a big smile to recover from one of those.

3. A massive school group walked by. One boy smiled and was about to give me a tip, when the chaperone stopped him. If it was that important for him not to tip, she should have said something ahead of time, not when I was watching. How rude.

4. Someone recognized Twin Peaks! And took a nice photo!

And then....

Friday, 24 Feb 2012


This day was annoying. I went over to Rose St., but the homeless folks and this one guitar player were perfectly spaced out that there wasn't a good spot available. I walked for a while, considered setting up on North Bridge to watch the sunset while I played, but there were lots of buses going by so it would have been loud, and the sidewalk was kind of narrow.

Set up on the Royal Mile, then remembered the rule about letting your accordion acclimate to indoor temperatures before playing it. I had band practice soon after, so I would have to get home with time to spare to preheat Lil' Red. Quit pretty early.

1. Only thing worth noting, which was actually really nice: preteen string quartet! As I was leaving, I heard the faint sound of music, and saw four preteen boys crowded around the fountain outside of St. Giles Cathedral. One was on first violin, twins were on second violin and cello, and their friend was lurking with a ukulele. They were doing traditional stuff, and sounded pretty good! It was a little squeaky, but the passion was totally there. I suggested that they go take over the spot I had left, where they would be more exposed. They were into talking, and asked what I do about cold hands. If only I had a good answer for them. I loved that this is what they were doing with their Friday afternoon, and I hope to run into them again.

I took the bus home, where a little girl asked about my box. Finally!

The end. Now, on to more exciting posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment