Sunday, March 11, 2012

Wind and Trading

Last Friday was a beautiful day! Warm, sunny, and folks were out. I set up on the Middle Meadow Walk, where I always recognize people now! However, I stayed for less than one play-through of my set list, since the wind was brutal! I'm used to having to quickly step on my set list to keep from losing it and picking up Flaca, but this particular wind was so strong that my whole box was getting moved. I was in danger of losing my main S^3 sign, and attempted to wrap the lid of the box in bungees to make a cage for it. It was very stressful though, since these signs are irreplaceable, so I packed up. I conceded Flaca's setup, putting it all in the box, and realized later that I could have conceded everything else: protect all my signs and just have an open box. The money wasn't even that great anyway. I like being over there to meet people, but it's not the most financially advantageous pitch.

I was glad I went out though, since something awesome happened! Before we get to that, four boring points:

1. I met a woman named Monica who wants accordion lessons!

2. While I was talking to someone and not playing, a banjo player set up pretty nearby. Hey!

3. I talked to a man from Canada who called my accordion a concertina, but then took a closer look and corrected himself! Nice! He says his daughter is learning the concertina.

4. School got out, and some boys went by. One said, "Give her the 10p!" I guess they were debating who this particular 10p belonged to, so I solved that problem. that works!

5. And the awesome thing: A guy and girl came up and asked if I wanted to play a game. All I had to do was trade something for a pen. They had been playing for about five days, literally just trading one object for another object. The most interesting thing they had gotten so far was a shuttlecock birdie. I rifled through my bag to find something to trade, and came across my keys, hanging from a San Francisco keychain. This was purchased for me by my first friend in SF, and held my SF house keys over there. It definitely has sentimental value! After a little hesitation, I handed it over for the black pen. It turns out this trade was the last thing the guy, David, did before going to work. He put on his red British Red Cross jacket and took his post on the Middle Meadow Walk, stopping folks to solicit donations (of money, not blood, unfortunately). Several times he offered to give back the keychain, but each time he did I felt more confident in sending it out into the world. I told him to tell whoever he gave it to that it has sentimental value, and made him promise to get something good for it.

I think this is a great project! It's a nice way to unite human beings while reminding us to separate from material goods. Why not just give something away that you happen to have on you? My keys are slightly harder to find in my bag now, but that's fine, and I have other San Francisco souvenirs. I encouraged David to start a blog, keeping track of his trades, the people he met, and interesting conversations he had. Secretly, I'd love to take over and keep this blog. He said he'd email me about it, and I hope he does. The Trading Game: Uniting Humans Two Objects at a Time. I fully intend to carry the pen around with me and trade it to start my own branch!

6. Right after I traded, an older gentleman stopped to talk. He gave me his card for his ceilidh band, the Thunder Dogs. He told me about some events, and said to call him about musical things. That meant I needed his phone number, which wasn't written on the card. He asked if I had a pen.

Did I ever!!!! That confirmed the fact that the SF keychain was on an adventure, and this pen was meant to get to me.

The end! Get ready for a massive post about Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment