Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Search for Sarah's Flat, or "That Time I Broke and Entered in Tel Aviv"

This is supposed to be a blog about busking only.  However, every once in a while I have a non-busking-related story that I want to share, and the blog seems to be the best place to share it.  I hope you enjoy the tale of last week's misadventure!

(*Street name changed to prevent further breaking-and-entering.)

Introduction
In May of 2012 I shed my accordion and piano dress for a week to bask in the sun of Israel and visit my dear friend Sarah Yourgrau.  My flight was to arrive in the middle of the day when Sarah was at work, so we planned that she would leave me the key to her flat on top of the electrical box so I could let myself in.  She sent me her address: 23 Devengal*, top floor, the door on the left.  She additionally warned me that I would be greeted by an ancient pit bull.  She promised to leave me a note!

To be honest, I didn't think everything would go perfectly, since this plan was laid out by the girl we had to lie to about a cappella rehearsal time so there would be a prayer of her showing up within the first hour.  It's safe to say that I expected a hitch or two.  My plane landed, and I got on the right train, and got off at the right station.  I held my map in one hand and my cheap plastic Thrift Store compass in the other, and navigated my way on foot through central Tel Aviv to Devengal St.  There was 23, right between 21 and 25!  My first error was that I climbed a few stairs and emerged in a private residence.  After standing around in the living room for a moment, a young man asked me, "Are you looking for the building?"  I was.  No problem.

I ascended to the top floor, felt around on top of the electrical box, and sure enough there was a key waiting for me.  I put it into the door on the left, but the key did not fit.  I tried the door in the middle, but it did not fit either.  It fit perfectly into the door on the right.  This was the first time that day I felt like Goldilocks.  "This one's juuuust right!"   "Okay," I thought, "That's Sarah's mistake, she said left instead of right."  No big deal.  I stepped into the spotless apartment, quite impressed by the adult level of cleanliness and decor that Sarah must have developed in the two years since we'd last seen each other.  There was the bedroom, then another bed neatly made up.  Sarah had said she wouldn't have time to make me a bed, so I inferred that the time must have materialized.  I didn't see a note, but she could have forgotten that.  That forgetful Sarah!  I opened the door to the kitchen that led out to the balcony where a gray and white cat bounded towards me.  Hm, that's strange.  At this point I still didn't suspect I was in the wrong flat.  The explanation I decided upon for the feline appearance was that it was a surprise for me!  Sarah must know how much I love cats, so rather than just telling me she had one, she set my expectations low by lying about the pit bull so I would be pleasantly surprised upon my arrival.  Aw, what a great friend!

Check #1
Despite my confidence that I was in the right place, I thought I should find some proof that Sarah lived here.  In the preliminary look-around my eyes settled on something that could be proof: a holographic poster of a unicorn.  It was so tacky that Sarah could definitely own and display it to be ironic!  To be sure, I examined the rows of shoes, and didn't recognize any.  That's okay, she's in a new country with new fashion, she probably has different shoes.  I examined the living room, with a fancy, expensive flat-screen TV, and didn't see a single book or magazine in English.  Hm.  I glanced at the drawer in the bedside table, and opted to not open it unless it was necessary.  You know in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure when PW is rescuing the animals from the inferno of the flaming pet shop, but keeps walking by the snake terrarium, grimacing, and rescuing something else instead?  It was just like that.  As long as there were other corners to investigate, I could avoid checking the bedside table.  I rifled through the cosmetics and beauty products, looking for an American brand, but they were all covered in unfamiliar alphabets. 

I thought about what I could look for that would put an end to the mystery forever, and remembered some skills I had learned in the Worst Case Scenario: Dating and Sex book.  Specifically, the "What To Do If You Wake Up In Bed With Somebody Whose Name You Forgot" chapter suggests looking for prescription medication, magazine subscriptions, or luggage tags that might state the owner's name.  I looked for these things, but all I found was a suitcase with a checked luggage label for a flight from Moscow to Tel Aviv.  Would Sarah have gone to Moscow?  I came across a photo of a bunch of women, none of which was Sarah.  I was really starting to doubt her occupancy of this flat.  At this point I ran down the stairs again, feeling around atop every electric box to make sure I had the right floor, to no avail.  I came back upstairs to go even deeper into this flat's possessions.

Check #2
 Not having found anything, I started really rummaging.  I opened cabinets and examined the wardrobe (Counterpoints shirts?), and looked over at the bedside table once again.  There was nowhere else to look but in there.  I bravely opened it, and saw everything I feared I would see: a lacy red something, a ton of condoms, and a tube of "Love Gel."  Ewwww.  There was an envelope.  Letter from Sarah's mom?  No, it was filled with money!!  Lots of it!!!!  Wow!  Still without real proof in either direction, I "hacked" the computers.  Two laptops lay around (both PCs, definitely not Sarah), so I booted them up, hoping to see a photo of Sarah and her boyfriend on the desktop.  Both were locked, with accounts bearing initials that began with A.  This was my cue to put my clothes back on (I had made myself comfortable), smooth down the groove that my pack had made on the bedspread, and book it out of there, feeling like Goldilocks once again.  "Who's been unpacking on my bed/petting my cat/examining my Love Gel?"  Good thing I didn't raid the fridge! 

The Search
I decided that Sarah must have given me the wrong building number, and that the other key was coincidentally there for those who come in to feed the cat and to partake in the use of Love Gel.  When I hit the sidewalk of Devengal street once again, the guy whose flat I had entered first was outside with a friend.  I asked them if they know Sarah and Yogev, and they do not.  I explained the predicament, and the guy kindly called the landlord to ask if Sarah and Yogev rent from him.  They do not.  Well that clears that up!  They asked why I don't call Sarah, and I told them I had forgotten to record her number, which was out of reach in my email.  The guy invited me in to use his computer to get her number.  Aren't Israelis nice?  I crafted an SMS asking Sarah if she was quite sure she lived at 23 Devengal St., and I got a response from T-mobile saying that her number was out of range.  Lovely.

Sarah must have just mistyped 23, so I made a list of numbers it could be: 2, 3, 32, 21, 12, 34.  I tried all of these buildings, rubbing my hand on the electrical boxes of each one.  All the mailboxes were in Hebrew, so I couldn't seek their names.  Numbers 21 and 2 were construction sites.  Number 3 is the Embassy to Moldova.  That's not it!  When none of these produced anything, I began running up and down the stairs of every building on the block, thanking my lucky stars that I did not have my accordion with me.  At this point, my right hand was a nice shade of black from the decades worth of dust, sand, and mouse shit I had rescued from the umpteen electrical boxes I manually examined.

Several people on the street saw me wandering around sweating through my backpack and asked what I was looking for.  "Thanks, but it's not really something anyone can help with," I would tell them.  One nice man asked why, so I told him the misadventure so far, mainly for my diversion in retelling it.  He stood up for Sarah, unwilling to blindly join me in blaming her, and suggested, "Maybe she didn't mention the cat and she's out with the dog!"  He did suggest I take a break from entering strangers' homes and have a lemonade with him.  Lemonade sounded good, but my real goal was to get into the Mediterranean Sea, so I wanted to find the place and get on with my afternoon!

Mega-Happy Ending
It was clear that the only thing to do was to get in touch with Sarah.  My plan was to walk past #23 again, where I would see the helpful people on the porch again, and they would ask if I had made any progress.  I would tell them that my text to her didn't work, at which point one of them would offer to text her on his/her Israeli phone.  Perfect!  But they were no longer outside, and I didn't want to take advantage of their help by going inside.  Bidding farewell to the £1.50 per minute T-mobile had promised to charge me for calls in Israel, I dialed Sarah's digits hoping that this method would be more successful than texting.  Indeed it was!  "Hello?"  "Hi!  Where do you live???"  "23 Devengal St."  "Are you sure?"  "Yep, top floor on the left!"  "The one with the cat?"  "What?  No!  That's the Russian cat lady!"  "Well that explains the Russian luggage tags."  "Wait, you went in there??"  Etc.  Sarah promised that the key worked, that it was the key that she and Yogev used every day.  You just have to wiggle it a little.  I had spent several minutes trying the key in the door on the left, even squinting to examine the bends of the key compared with the light shining through the key hole.  I couldn't remotely get it in.  "Wiggle it a little" my foot.  I told Sarah I'd call her back if (when) I had more trouble.

I climbed the stairs at number 23 once again, picked up the key, and looked at its shape once again.  Then, just for kicks, I put my blackened hand on the electrical box again.  Sure enough, there was a second key.  This was the one box I hadn't thoroughly petted, assuming I had already located all it had to offer.  I turned that key, opened the door, and was immediately filled with that relieved feeling of "That's more like it!"  There was a big funny note in plain sight, the place was not immaculate, there were photos of Sarah (but none of me), and a lovable white canine whom soon got way more of a petting than he expected in his slumber.  I never thought I'd be so happy to see a pit bull!  I threw myself onto the hammock and helped myself to the crunchy Israeli peanut-butter snacks they had left out for me.  Of course Sarah had made no mistake, and had gone above and beyond in her hospitality (even if she didn't surprise me with a cat). I later learned that they are subletting the apartment, which explains why the landlord didn't recognize their names.

But Wait!
As I got ready for the beach (and ironically did a search of the correct flat, as thorough as that I had done in the neighbor's, in search of sunscreen), it dawned on me that there was evidence of my break-in: the cat!  When I went in, the doors to the kitchen, living room, and bedroom had been closed.  The cat food in the kitchen (which leads to the balcony) suggested that the cat was only allowed in there, and I had let it wander freely around the flat during my investigation.  And I hadn't closed any interior doors behind me!  I looked at the clock, assessing, from the ample information I had about the neighbor, if I had time to go back in.  Sarah had called her a cat lady, but was she a crazy cat lady?  If she found her apartment in a state of disarray would she call the police?  Deciding that it was worth it to keep her suspicion at bay, I swiftly picked up her key once again, looked around, and darted into the apartment.  Sure enough, the cat was luxuriously asleep on the couch, somewhere it was probably not allowed.  Without hesitating I grabbed it, giving way to a perfect "Reowr!"  I heaved the furry rascal into the kitchen, slid the three doors closed, and left as quickly as I had entered, for the last time.  Later I realized that the computers were still powered up, albeit closed, but that could have been a mistake the Russian shoe-obsessed, grocery-not-stocking, cosmetic-refrigerating cat lady made.

Conclusion
I loved every minute of this misadventure, despite the physical exertion and confusion.  At the end of the day, I am on the road not to see sights, not to work on my tan, but to gather stories.  I could have boringly walked from the train station and picked up the right key the first time, but then the image of entering Sarah and Yogev's apartment for the first time would hardly have been memorable.  It is experiences like this that maintain my excitement to travel, especially on my own (since a smarter travel buddy could have ruined the fun by finding the other key right away).  Although it cut into my beach time, this search gave me a taste of Tel Aviv architecture and the kindness of strangers, and it taught me that I ought to give my sometimes-scatter-brained friends more credit.  The best part was retelling the quest to the residents of 23 Devengal, top floor on the left, and hearing that amazing laugh that I had traveled so far to hear.  And if nothing else, the cat across the hall was slightly less dusty after the ordeal!  And if I see some lost Moldovans wandering around, lost, I'll be able to direct them to their embassy.  Shalom.

1 comment: