Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"Comedian's Toy"

Another nice day busking!  It was quite warm and sunny, and I thought about checking out the Middle Meadow Walk for the first time in a while, and if it was taken or desolate, I would go to Rose St. again.  As it was, it was a bit desolate.  Plenty of students, but students don't pay the bills!  I wandered down the Royal Mile and decided just to play there.  Jack Sparrow violinist and this band I didn't recognize were the only buskers out.  I wanted to give Rose St. a break so it stayed special, and it's rare to get so much airspace on the RM.  As I was checking out the police box pitch and saw the band, who walked up the hill but Tom the Other Accordion Player.  Shit, I was sure he was going to want the Cathedral as well, since he usually plays there, so I struck up conversation.  Luckily he said he was planning to go up by the castle, so I could have the cathedral.  And so I set up.  I chose between an alcove and a not alcove, and went with not alcove so I would be closer to the masses, although the acoustics would have been better in the alcove.

This was the real test day for the photography sign, since the highest concentration of violators is on the RM.  First I had it to the right of my box, then moved it to the front, in line with the other signs.  I think it did help a little, a statistic which I unfortunately base on how many Asians tipped.  There were still many violators, though, and I realized that a lot of the quick photos are of just my upper body, so the sign won't even show up in their photos.  Darn.  Another problem is that many of the sneaky photographers do so from the side, where they can't see the sign at all.  I should put it on my head.  I caught some people reading it, though, so that was good.

After the first hour and a half or so a bagpiper set up in the usual spot outside the courthouse.  It was bearable but still loud, so I walked across the street to the arches after Jack Sparrow had left.  I didn't properly pack up for this quick walk, and my feet with percussion made a great rhythm.  It was another good day at both locations, I felt good about my music and its response!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012--My 11/12th birthday!
1.  A couple of older Asian men with fancy cameras stopped.  Here we go, big test!  Sure enough, they tipped!  And took photos.  And photos and photos!  The one guy was shooting wildly, getting every angle!  He asked me to step away from my setup and stand in the sun for more photos.  At least he tipped!

2.  A guy saw my loans sign and stopped to talk.  Talked about the problems with the high cost of education, and his plans to go to university.  Turning 40 this year, so he wants to do it.  Nice.

3.  After I crossed to the new location and had played there for a while, an older man with dark gray hair but white eyelashes walked over and introduced him as Silver.  I got the feeling that this would be a complaint from a vendor.  But no, it was advice!  He busked for 25 years, and offered me some suggestions to make more money.  He was really nice about it; sometimes my pride kicks in and I deflect suggestions, but he delivered them in a really nice and helpful way.  First, he said that my box needs to be farther up, and I have to hang back.  Explained that folks get uncomfortable going close to you to tip, and would rather just drop a coin in where they are already walking.  This one seems so obvious!  I've thought about it before but never thought it mattered enough to implement.  He prefaced his next tip by saying it was about the kazoo: "Never......stop the kazoo."  Oh, okay!!  So glad he likes the kazoo!  But it turns out he just changed the delivery mid-sentence.  Just "stop the kazoo."  Said that the accordion is so nice and the kazoo drowns it out.  He said that the kazoo is a comedian's toy, and that no one will take my act seriously.  Very good point.  I do still plan to use it, though, and told him that the reason for it is just to show off my multi-tasking; that I get tipped for the multi-tasking rather than the music.  But I'll keep an eye on tip flow with it.  I did move my box up, though.  I'm not entirely sure if it helped, but I'll give it a chance.  The problem is that it blocks the view of my feet as people are walking by, and they like to look at my feet now that they're doing cool things.  I kept forgetting to stay back though, and naturally shifted to where I'm used to being in relation to the box and to Flaca.  We'll see what happens!

4. Cute baby's eyes were glued to me.  That is all.

5.  There's a woman who walks by sometimes who I think is named Helen.  I first saw her on Torch Day when she walked by with a free coca-cola she had received.  She offered it to me, saying she couldn't have it because she was epileptic.  Came by again today and stopped to talk.  Asked if I had any foreign coins; she's a collector.  I told her I hadn't received any that day (turned out I had € and $, but those are boring).  I do have a little baggie of them, I suppose I'll bring them to her next time.  Got some interesting ones on the road.  She asked what my snack was that I was eating, and I told her it was carrots.  "I can't have hard vegetables because I'm epileptic."  I'm learning so much about the dietary restrictions of those afflicted with epilepsy!

6. Lewis the King of Scotland stopped by!  I was playing Ring of Fire and spotted him next to me, singing along.  I dropped down to just left hand chords so he could take the solo.  Awesome.  Then he switched and began singing "Smile and the world smiles with you."  And then he was off in a flash to talk to Helen.  He came by again later as I was packing up for a wee chat.  I mentioned being happy that the sun was out, and he said "It doesn't rain on the Royal Mile, it's just liquid sunshine."  Then he began to sing a song about this!  I wish I remembered the words; he demonstrated how he stands out in the rain, holding his cane up in the air with the hook side down so it looks like the handle of an umbrella.  The song included how it's the best umbrella because it has no spokes to poke you in the eye, etc.  What a guy!

7.  A great family stopped by with a really enthusiastic little boy, less than two years old I'd say.  He decided that his family would stop and listen, so I took out a maraca from my shoe and extended it to him.  He immediately waddled over and grabbed it, then went back to the safety of his parents to give it a shake.  We played "The Wheels on the Bus."  An older man wearing an extremely bright yellow jumper stopped just then and said the song sounds like another song, Bobby Shaftoe (thank you, google!).  He sang the first two verses of this:


Bobby Shaftoe gone to sea
Silver buckles on his knee
He'll come back and marry me
Bonnie Bobby Shaftoe

Bobby Shaftoe's bright and fair
Combing down his yellow hair
He's my love for ever more
Bonnie Bobby Shaftoe


The boy's mother confirmed that she knows this one too.  Lots of folks singing today!!  The boy had given back the shaker but wasn't ready to move on yet.  When his parents gave him money he loitered in front of the box, so I told him he could put it in the big box or the little box.  Obviously he chose the little box, and so I showed him Flaca, whom he immediately accepted.  I got down on my knee and played Beer Barrel Polka, and he did the standard dance with her of yanking her up and down for a bit, then swinging her all around.  Good thing that girl has a strong stomach!  Then they went on their merry way.  So cute!

8.  Sometimes people walk by with pop culture t-shirts and I wish I could break into that song!  This most frequently happens with Ghostbusters shirts, but yesterday I saw a Star Wars shirt and today I saw the Godfather.  Of course I can wing the middle and properly play the latter, but it's always too late when I notice.  I'll have to keep my eyes open!

9.  I actually had crowds today!!  Cool!  At one point, a man was sitting on one of the earplug-shaped concrete things and listening.  I don't use percussion on all my songs, so when I stopped for one song this guy tapped his foot and pointed to indicate that I should use it.  Okay!

10.  A girl took my photo on her iPhone and didn't tip.  Then....she dropped her phone!  Kaaaaaarma!

11.  A man stopped to talk who had a bundle that might have been a drum.  He apologized for something about singing, which I hadn't heard.  Turns out Lewis had been singing quite loudly further down.  He said that he's known Lewis for years, and that he named his dog Louie after him.  Nice.  This guy also asked if it was me he saw walking and playing the accordion a few months ago on George IV Bridge St.  Indeed it was!  We had talked briefly then!  Cool!

12.  I was doing a lot of kazoo, and it was getting a little slimy.  Didn't help that I started the day with chap stick.  At one point it actually fell out mid-song, and I managed to catch it, but it was an obvious interruption to the song.  I was glad that some passersby saw!

That's all that's written!  Lots of busking is good, but it also means lots of blogging which gets old!  Tomorrow looks nice, then at least eight days of rain.  No thanks.  Let's hope this forecast is wrong!

I think I'm going to properly arrange "Someone Like You" now.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment