Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Torchday

Disclaimer: way past my bedtime=typos galore.  I can feel them coming, but I'm not going to edit tonight.

A lot has happened since the last post!  I had my bag stolen, won a ukulele, and saw John Legend (maybe).  Now I'll tell you all about it.

Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Last night, I went to my second Uke Boogie night.  I raved about this event in the Valentine's Day post, and I will rave about it again.  It is a wonderful monthly get-together in the basement of the adequately named "Banshee Labyrinth," a metal/punk/whatever venue with lots of secret passageways and little rooms.  The idea is that there are ukuleles aplenty, but the only rule for the stage is NGA: No Guitars Allowed.  When I went in February I was greeted by a crowd of nice, like-minded creative people, and really felt like I fit in.  But then I missed the March one because of another event, and was away for April and May, so last night was my first chance to experience this again!

It was much smaller this time, but still very nice.  I played Twin Peaks, Kaiho's Call Me, So Long Marianne, and The Final Countdown.  The acoustics were obviously very different from the street, and I couldn't get the percussion how I like it since it was so full and echoey!  Also the kazoo sounded pretty bad.  But it was nice!  Talked to other musicians, including a girl from New York who had some visa confusion so we compared notes.  The bad news about this evening was that my bag was stolen.  It was pretty much the best case scenario, since I had my wallet at the time and the thief spared my camera and accordion.  But it means I don't have a phone at the moment.  But then, in the aftermath of that, I came by a ukulele!  I won't say "won" because I don't think I won it fairly.  There was a ukulele raffled off and my numbers were called for it three times, but I guess I couldn't have it since I had already won something else.  I missed all this; I was talking to the police.  I've been thinking about learning ukulele, since guitar is too big to bring on the road but I do miss playing it, so I'm looking forward to getting started!

Today's excitement was the Olympic Torch Relay.  The torch has been touring Scotland via a convoy and runners for 26 days.  It began this morning in St. Andrews and finished up at the Edinburgh castle.  I got up this morning and began reading the live feed.  Really cool, the web people were updating the site with information about the runners, many of which were suffering from illnesses or had fought them, and about the crowds and such.  Some students recreated the famous scene from Chariots of Fire on the beach, and there was video of that.  I decided, per the suggestion of my friend Rob, to learn the theme from the aforementioned film to play once the convoy reached Edinburgh.  So I spent the first half of today listening, transcribing, transposing, and practicing.  It's actually quite easy, and a very lovely piece of music.  I feel like I've known it forever; it's hard to think, after a day of playing it, that I didn't know it this morning!  I also gave a listen to the Olympics theme, which is actually a "Bugle Fanfare," followed in most Youtube videos by the actual Olympics theme, a score I recognized only from its use in Harry Potter.  D'oh.

I wanted to busk, but I also wanted to experience the festivity.  I knew people would be lining the streets, so I equated it to Provincetown's carnival.  There is little in common between these events other than the lining of the streets, but I knew I wanted to be mobile.  Lugging my box would restrict me, and I wanted to be with the people.  So, for the first time ever, I packed my busking bag and threw in a hat.  I left my flag with my backpack on my back and my loose accordion on my front, and walked into town while practicing my new song.  Saw a cyclist get struck by a car.  But she was okay!

There wasn't too much hoopla around my neck of the woods at that time.  The convoy was to go right by my road, and I considered just staying over there.  But I was sure it would be a nice scene closer to the castle, so I headed in.  Sure enough, people were already lining the Royal Mile, with many more headed up.  I set up to busk for a little while people got settled.  It felt so free to not have anything to set up!  No signs, no boxes, no set list, no puppet (sorry, Flaca).  I had thrown in the two tambourines at the last minute, but had no kazoo.  I've never set up so quickly!  I won't talk about busking now, since most of it was after the convoy.  I'll save it all for then.

I didn't know exactly when the torch would come through town, but I reckoned I should start to look for a place to watch.  The Royal Mile was getting a bit congested, and the view wouldn't be great.  I headed instead down the convoy route in reverse, down George IV to Forest Rd.  I realized that I stupidly hadn't brought my camera and walked halfway home to get it before deciding I didn't have time and turning back.  I definitely had time.  Mainly, I just wanted the officials to hear me playing C of F.  The live feed was posting Tweets, so I went ahead and dusted off my seldom-used Twitter account to tell BBC that I had arranged the song and would be ready and waiting, playing it.  I eyed a yellow sign post that had a cement thing that I could stand on near Candlemaker Row, but settled on Forest Rd. because my friend Rob was going to maybe be there and I hoped to meet up (no phone, remember?).  (Wow, Rob, I didn't mean to give you TWO mentions.)

There was a while to wait, but no one knew how long.  I discussed the timing with two different people, but no one had a clue.  I was aware that I was on my own, in a sea of families, couples, and friend groups all gathered to watch the run together.  I couldn't even text/pretend to text with no phone!  There was another fellow across the street from me, behind the barrier, who was also on his own.  Even though he had his iPhone to play with, I took solace in the fact that someone else was there alone.  But then I visualized the possibility of actually serendipitously finding Rob in the sea of people, and thought about the expression on the guy's face when he saw that I wasn't alone after all.  He thought we were in this together!  I practiced a series of facial expressions we would exchange, across the barriers, to communicate that fact that even though I had a friend with me then, I was still often places on my own.  I even mentally nonverbally invited him to duck across the street and watch with us!  But then guess what that bastard did?  Had a friend join him.  Probably who he was texting the whole time, communicating his exact whereabouts.  Rubbing in BOTH the facts that I don't know a lot of people here and that I don't have a phone.  Have some respect!  (In case you're confused, he and I never acknowledged each other, and things like this are how I keep my mind occupied when waiting for, say, a torch.)

My section of metal barrier was soon filled by a businessman getting off work and an adorable little girl and her Spanish-speaking father.  The girl was so impatient, and happily engaged the businessman and myself in a discussion about how long it was taking.  Finally, there were signs of action.  Regular traffic slowed.  Police officers on yellow motorcycles went by.  I put on my accordion and handed the little girl a tambourine.  I slowly started playing.  But then I was drowned out by a couple of big vehicles, not unlike the annoying advert ones that you see at the Ptown carnival.  Loud pop music, women dancing.  What does this have to do with a torch?  Coca-cola, Bank of Scotland.  At least the latter gave out streamers!  It all happened very fast after that.  One yahoo in blue jeans ran down the parade route with a plastic torch, and people fell for it and took photos.  Then there were a couple of buses with the other runners and general support people.  Vehicle with a camera crew in it.  And the runner, a young man wearing white, holding the torch high as he ran amid other runners wearing grey.  And that was it!  Just a flame darting through the crowd up ahead.  No one noticed my song!!  So much for getting super famous just in time for the Olympics.  It was so nice, though, to be part of an event with so much support and excitement.  There were flags being waved, faces being painted, and a general sense of patriotism and pride in the air.  Since I'll be missing the 23948233 parades Provincetown manages to have every summer, this will do nicely.

 Here's a photo from the internet that I didn't take, just to give you an impression:



 Once the crowd dissipated I walked again towards the Royal Mile.  It was a mob scene by now, and I could hear folks discussing what they had not scene of the convoy due to the masses.  "Wait, that was it??"  Guys, there was plenty of room along the rest of the route!  I played as I walked, in case anyone in the world would recognize the song.  A man walked by with a guitar on his back and rudely stuck his fingers in his ears in response to my music.  I yelled at him.  I'm getting quite good at yelling at people; at this rate I'll fit certain people's stereotypes of crazy buskers in no time!  In contrast to that, I walked by a doorway that had an older couple peeking out.  They commented that they had food, but they needed music!  I'm not sure what the venue was, a church?  Whatever it was, they had Greek snacks.  My favorite!  They suggested I have some, but I wasn't sure exactly what the deal was so I declined.  Super nice lady though, it was good to talk to her about the event and the mayhem and everything.

I wasn't planning on busking more.  The tips had been few and far between when I busked beforehand, so I was just going to walk around the RM a little more and play relevant songs and hopefully get some comments, then go home.  I saw that the new accordion player who I mentioned in my last post was out, so I decided to stomach my issues and go talk to him.  He saw me mid-song and smiled and nodded, then afterwards sincerely asked, "Am I drowning you out?" Okay, he's a nice person.  Tom.  My plan was to just be super nice and welcoming and not mention my desire to kill him.  He said he's been in town a few days and will in fact be in town for the whole summer.  So naturally I had to abandon my plan and make a joke about killing him anyway, and he said he'd give me space :)  (This sounds totally sinister but it was really a nice interaction, we'll be fine.)  As long as he doesn't discover the Farmers' Market.  Knock on wood.  I had told him I wasn't actually busking today, but then as I continued I saw the stampede of people begin to descend the Royal Mile.  If each of these people gave me even 1p I'd be a rich person!  So I literally ran to the spot I had set up at before, Charlie Chaplin's spot by the arches, threw the hat on the ground without any feed money, and got to work.  Hopefully I didn't drown out Tom after that!

I was surprised at the small number of buskers out.  Earlier the highlander statue guy was out, as was Dieter, but that was it.  Now it was Tom and I and Scott, the new circle pitch guy.  I could see fire being thrown in the air.  There was a new statue in town, with whom I talked briefly.  He had a photography sign, which has been on my mind.  His just said "Donations for photographs, please," or something.  I interrupted his conversation with a piper to ask if the sign made a difference, and he said, "Oh yes."  I told him I'm drafting mine, and shared the idea with the pair.  The piper suggested, "Just keep it simple: camera = one fucking pound, assholes."  Sounds good to me!  I think I'll go ahead with the one I've been planning, since I spent hours on Microsoft Paint preparing its components.

Anyway, I mostly played Chariots of Fire.  Over and over and over again.  I actually learned it in record time; I had dumbed it down a little bit but the arrangement was still a bit intricate, and after my walking I was able to play it pretty well!  I was so excited, but no one was recognizing it!  I also winged the Olympics theme, which is just so momentous.  I got fully into passionate mode.  This is, of course, where you give yourself a super passionate facial expression, move with the music, use the whole bellows, change dynamics, and look longingly at passersby.  It doesn't often come out; usually just when it's a nice dark evening, I'm getting a lot of compliments that go to my head, or *gasp* during the rare occasion that I drink on the job.  I didn't expect it, but Chariots of Fire is so emotional and Bugle Fanfare is so regal that you can't just stand there looking bored while playing them.  Once I realized I was in passionate mode I really went with it, so if nothing else I had fun.  I do pity the vendors within earshot, though, since I really did loop these songs.  I played others as well, to give them a break, but tried to choose equally dramatic songs: Final Countdown, Don't Stop Me Now.  I had percussion on one foot, and really rocked it.

To make up for the small number of buskers there was a higher number of people handing out pamphlets; for shows, products, and FREE Bible Study.  Finally, usually it's so expensive!  This group's headquarters was actually right next to me, and a man came over.  Oh no, here we go again!  "Do you have a minute?" he asked.  "I guesssssssss," I responded.  "Are you a Christian?"  "No, but if that's what we're going to talk about I'd really rather keep playing, if you don't mind."  "Okay.  But would you like a pamphlet?"  "No thanks!"  That was it!  Back he went!

I think it's time for the little things:
1. A lot of people walked behind me, between me and the wall.  That was weird, it's obviously unnerving for me; just walk in front!

2. An Indian woman took her time framing the perfect photo of me, then walked away without tipping.  I followed her down the street with my glare, to no avail.  A few minutes later, she was right in front of me, and asked what that last song had been.  "Uh, the Final Countdown?"  I sang her a few bars.  "Do you know any Hindi or Bollywood songs?"  I told her I didn't.  She smiled and said, "That's okay, you sound great and deserve something!"  Dropped a £2 coin in, my first in a while!  Wow!  Didn't see that coming!

3. Hare Krishnas were out with drums and bells.  And a microphone to sing extra loud!  What is this!  I flashed them a "shhhhh" as they were going by me and I was trying to play, which did not work.

3. Since I don't have my photo sign yet, and since I was in passionate mode, I adopted the new technique of just scowling for every photo taken without a tip, looking as terrible as possible.  If they did tip after, I would offer them a new photo where I was smiling.  Good plan, right?  But no one tipped after, of course. 

4.  I did have some people stop and listen, which I never expect, so I had to play an array of songs for them.  One guy was really into the Final Countdown and Don't Stop Me Now.  Love when people recognize songs and show it!!

5.  As I was playing C of F for the millionth time, a middle-aged man began running in slow-motion.  Finally!!!  I stopped to tell him that he was the first all day to recognize it, and he and his wife revealed their surprise at this statistic in obvious American accents.  The man explained that their friend plays a little piano, but only knows this song.  Whenever he sees a piano he begins to play it, but it is always terrible.  You can count on Americans for having anecdotes about movie scores!  I was glad all that effort today paid off.

6. Little toddler in her Mom's backpack.  Mom told her, "You have one just like that at home!"  They explained it was a little toy one.  The girl piped up, "I want to play it!"  Awesome.

7. One of the best interactions ever: a man had been loitering, and he came over and just asked, "Can I ask your name."  I told him.  He identified himself, and it took a second for me to process it, because it's too awesome.  See, my family lived in Spain for one year when I was two-three years old.  My brother and I had two babysitters, whom I very faintly remember.  When I was in Spain in 2009 I got in touch with our former friends and made plans to have a grand reunion, and see everyone after nearly twenty years.  But then I broke my arm and had to go home early.  Regardless, I became Facebook friends with several of the people with whom I had been emailing, including my former babysitter Ana.  So we follow each other on Facebook!  Now we're brought up to speed.  This gentleman is Ana's boyfriend.  He's in Edinburgh for whatever reason, and Ana knows I'm here playing, so she told him to look for me.  People do that, but I'm rarely actually out when these people are roaming around.  The timing worked today, though, and meeting Carlos made me so happy!

8. After a while, the constant din of bagpipe got louder.  Some horse-mounted police officers were going by, so I thought they might be leading a procession that included pipers.  But the horses passed and the sound continued.  I saw that Tom had packed up and a piper took his place.  Come on.  I tried waving but he didn't see me.  Totally drowning me out.  I telepathically invited anyone I know to walk by so I could ask them to either alert the piper to my presence or watch my stuff.  Wait a second, what stuff??  I realized that since I had packed so lightly and because there weren't other buskers after my spot, I could just pick everything up easily and stroll over there without wasting too much time or messing up my setup.  "Hello!  I'm set up right across the street there."  "Yes, but I asked the police and they said I just had to be 50 metres away."  "Well yeah, but you're four times the volume of anyone else and you're completely drowning me out."  "Sorry, I'm 50 metres away."  Obviously he's new in town.  "Well the pipers know that they're loud so they usually play over there by the statue."  "I can't play there because of the gate."  "Well, I don't know, but I'm playing there and I can't compete with you."  "I'll move down."  Yeah, right.  Just then a tourist asked to take a photo with him, so I went back and set up again.  He did not go down.  He kept playing there.  Really pissed me off.  How come HE got a cop that knew the 50 metre rule but I hadn't the previous day?  And obviously this guy has never been drowned out.  That was the end of it.  I went to speak to him again as I left, again planning to be nice (so I'm not the enemy) but to be quite serious and strict, and again to not tell him of my intentions to kill him.  My new busker friend William came along, and he helped me by telling the guy that usually the pipers pack up (he had said "fuck off" when we practiced) at this time of day to let the other buskers have a chance.  Now that he mentioned it, I didn't usually hear pipers in the evening.  Doesn't really fit the evening mode, you know?  That worked.  The piper asked why the other buskers don't play during the day, and he said "Because we can't be heard over the pipers."  Of course he was more responsive to William than me.  I need to look more threatening.  But when he admitted that he was only in town for that day, I slipped again and joked about beating him up.  Good way to break the ice, though.  Hope I can have a few confrontation-free days of busking.

So, as you can see, unusual couple of days.  It was definitely good to go out without the box, although I missed my signs a little.  I'll have to do this more often to make it manageable!  This was exciting, but I'll be glad to have a little quiet time in the city before the real Olympics start.  And now I know a new song, fancy that!

Oh, forgot to tell you about John Legend.  Apparently he was one of the runners, I think the last one, to carry the torch for a stretch of the route.  I didn't see him run, but he must have been in the bus full of runners that went by me!

Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment