Monday, June 18, 2012

"Scottish Girls Aren't Crazy Enough For This"

Today was really good.  Restored my faith in busking once again.  It has been raining nonstop for days and days.  I didn't busk at all over the weekend, but rather worked on my photography sign:


So when I woke up this morning and saw the sun pouring into the windows, I piano-dressed up and headed into town.  There were no empty pitches on the main drag of the Royal Mile.  Lots of new acts, two girls singing, a violin player, a harp player, and two bagpipers together in front of the Tron Kirk whose combined volume was loud enough to wipe out about five pitches.  Come on.  Elaine, the most-pierced woman alive, was out making more tips than the musicians.  I talked to Tom, who explained that this is normal after a rainy weekend; everyone comes out on Monday.  I thought about exploring one of the far ends of the RM, but instead went to Rose St.

I'm so glad I did.  It was a truly wonderful session, as Rose St. often yields.  It's not overrun with tourists, but the tourists who do walk by are ones interested in exploring a quaint pedestrian street.  There are families with children, and also a lot of locals; the group that tipped me the most today, I believe.  I know it's not about the money, but I did well, something that hasn't happened in a while.  I was playing pretty well and generally enjoying myself, and I got some interesting comments.  All this combines to make it a truly great afternoon of busking.

Monday, 18 June 2012
1. A man and woman walked by and tipped.  The man stopped and asked, "What's your nationality?"  "I'm American," I truthfully told him, "Could you tell?"  He replied, "Scottish girls aren't crazy enough for this!"  "I'll take that as a compliment."  "You should."  Love it.

2. Even though it's a pedestrian street, some cars go by, usually business vans or whatever.  A garbage truck went by today, filling the street, and a man commented, "You can't compete with the bin lorry!"  Nae, ye canna.

3.  A couple came by and the man chose to tip Flaca.  But as he bent down he hurt his back or something.  Oh no!  The wife commented on Flaca, and they told me about a famous puppeteer they met who works in Glasgow.  John something, a little man with spectacles.

4.  "That used to be me!" exclaimed a middle-aged American man.  He used to play accordion, maybe I inspired him to pick it up again!

5.  A bedraggled man and his dog came to sit and listen for a while.  The dog was checking out everyone, and paid me a few visits.  When the left the man apologized for not having money to tip me.  Seems that he's homeless.  So nice that he stopped and listened!  Many resent the buskers for taking all the tips.

6.  Another  man stopped long enough to take out his wallet and show me that there was nothing in it.  Fair enough.

7.  In San Francisco I came up with a busker's pickup line: "Know what would make that dollar bill even better?"  "What?"  "Your phone number written on it."  Used it once in SF, and it worked!  I thought about it again today, but realized I can't use it over here since my tips are all metal! D'oh!

8.  As usual, my KAIHO covers were my best songs.  My new favorite to play is "Rebs' Song," which is fun to start softly and really load it all on as it progresses.  I also tried the band's newest song, "Idiot Brain," which was fun to improvise with the kazoo!

9. In general, it was a kazoo heavy set.  The acoustics are so good on Rose St. that I couldn't put it down.  As a result I still have this groove on my lip, two hours later, and my face is sore from holding it in my mouth!  The lady at the bank (?) across the street kept looking over during kazoo songs, I reckon she didn't fancy it.

10.  About my new sign: it wasn't necessary today!  That's something I love about Rose St., the people who walk by tip with they photograph.  I had one violator, that was it.  Two women from Holland stopped by, and one acknowledged the sign by saying "donate online" aloud.  So it was visible!

11.  A middle-aged couple kept walking by.  Turns out they're Canadian!  They confirmed that I don't have an obvious American accent, and I confessed having faked accents a lot recently.  The man said he picked up a little Swiss German.  Awesome, I'll take it.

12.  I lost my set list!  I think at the uke boogie.  But luckily I've been using this one for so long that I know the order pretty well.  Good, it was time to print a new one anyway with my new songs.

13. I played just Paparazzi, and a guy came over and said that it was "brilliant," that he and his friends were listening.  So I played the rest of my Gaga tunes, and even tried more Adele.  Must arrange more current songs!

14.  A fellow kept walking by with big stacks of magazines.  We talked at one point, and he identified the publications as brochures for the Comedy Festival.  He'll be walking around passing them out all summer, and he saw me on the RM the other day!  We talked about playing in the winter, and he suggested using the power of my bellows to make flames appear or otherwise produce heat.  Also suggested making pancakes and selling them while I play.  I mentioned my goal to get Flaca up and dancing, and he said it wasn't necessary; that it was good to have random props around.  Suggested I bring furniture and a pineapple too.  Ha.

15.  When I was wrapping up, a girl from Singapore (?) (had a thing that mentioned Singapore Airlines) stopped to listen.  She was holding a tennis racket, but then said, "I play..."  and began opening the case.  What, tennis?  Great, but how is that relevant?  What she revealed was a broom flute!!!  Literally a little broom with holes drilled into the base so it works like a flute.  So awesome.  Her friend made it.  I think she said she plays in the gardens?  Hope to see her in action.

16.  I packed up after about 2.5 hours, shocked that no store owners had complained.  I walked in the direction of a singing voice, and found a man outside a shop playing guitar and singing ("Karma Police," the only Radiohead song I know.)  We talked quite a bit, joined in by another man who lives on Rose St. and loves all the buskers.  The busker is Martin, an Irish guy who spent last year in Seattle.  Talked about the competition we feel with other buskers, the stupidness of Royal Mile, etc.  I felt like we are similar in our views of busking and such.  Surely we'll run into each other again.  Oh, he played once for three hours when it was -10 degrees C, which is 14  F!!!  Wow!  My record is 22, I think.

And that's all!  Just lovely day!  Another thing that was nice was older folks tipping.  Older locals.  I got a tip from an adorable old lady with white white hair, wearing all pink.  I never get tips from the elderly in the super touristy places.  Will be back here more often, I daresay.

Going to arrange "Someone Like You," "Son of a Preacher Man," "Take On Me," a John Williams medley, and, yes, "Karma Police."

Till next time!

P.S.  New videos!  http://www.youtube.com/user/sophiessqueezebox?feature=mhee

2 comments: