Saturday, July 7, 2012

Begoña's Bearable Bellows?

So I had this idea that I thought I'd run by my readers.  I'll try to keep it brief.  Any opinions on the matter?

Necessity:
Okay, so I busk for fun.  Fun and stories.  But, I also need to be making as much money as possible.  My plan has been to travel around Europe more in the Fall before heading home, but due to the facts that I went on a big trip in the spring and I'm supporting myself only by busking now, money is tight.  As of now, I can't afford another trip.  I am, however, determined to go anyway, and busk along the way to pay for it.  But I need to make sure I can make enough money!

Inspiration:
There's one Edinburgh busker in this blog who I don't complain about.  Have you noticed who that is?  It's Captain Jack Sparrow on his violin.  His act is great; good music, good costume, good presentation.  We've discussed the tips we make, and he does quite well.  Better than I do.  And I so adamantly maintain that women will always do better than men!  This is the rare case where I don't feel competition or jealousy towards him, but rather pure admiration.  He's figured out what works.  That brings us to...

Idea:
As some of you may know, I have a twin sister, Begoña.  We were separated at birth due to the inconsistency of our superpowers (she had 'em, I didn't).  She was sent to Spain where she was raised in a special home for superheros, and our identities were concealed from each other.  We met by accident in Spain in 2006 (had a tearful Parent Trap moment in a Flamenco shoe store) and have kept in touch ever since.  We don't see much of each other, since she's off saving the world, but every so often she visits, mainly to entertain my friends, or, more frequently, campers.  Flying to North America takes a toll on Begoña's uniform, so she has given me a spare that she can change into when she comes to visit.  (Feel free to Facebook friend her, if you want!  She's not on very often but she likes to meet new people: https://www.facebook.com/begona.habanero.)

So, here's the idea: would Begoña do better busking than I do?  If a pirate does better than a normal person, would a superhero do so too?  She wouldn't agree to it easily, but I could ask Begoña's permission to wear the spare outfit when I busk.  I don't think I could wear the mask, but it would be worth a try.  It would make me less approachable, I think, but it would be sort of fun to travel Europe as a superhero (but hopefully there won't be a problem, since everyone would turn to me to solve it).  So would you, my blog readers and Facebook friends, be more likely to tip a superhero playing the accordion than a normal person in a piano dress playing the accordion?  It would mean changing my act quite a bit (no more "Sophie's Smokin' Squeezebox"), but it could make things quite a bit more interesting!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I think the idea of a costumed accordionist has busking potential. Not sure if you'd make more if you go with the mask. The Great Morgani has been working the secret identity thing for years. http://thegreatmorgani.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting idea...you could always try it out and see how she does.

    ReplyDelete