Saturday, July 14, 2012

Loons on Looms

It's actually sunny outside!  Woo-hoo!  Saturday at 4:00 pm and I'm home, but we'll get to that.  Lovely day at the market this morning.  In fact, we don't really need any intro:

Saturday, 14 July 2012:
1. Got the first tip of the day from a little boy in a Tintin shirt.  I complimented the shirt and he smiled, showing his perfect absence of front teeth.  So cute.

2. A guy walked by in a "What Would Sheldon Do?" t-shirt, with a picture of the character from the TV show "The Big Bang Theory."  I never watched this at home, but it's on TV here allll the time, so I it a bit now.  Specifically, I know the theme song.  But I couldn't quite remember how it went in time to attempt it for him.

3. Got a round of applause for "Chariots of Fire," which was nice because no one ever recognizes it!

4. A very good hen party went by.  The usual matching black t-shirts with pink writing, necklaces with pink plastic beer tankards on them, bride wearing a veil and a sash.  The unusual part was that they liked hearing the wedding march and tipped!  Finally!

5. The regular Saturday kid Briana came by, dressed in her usual red.  Did a round on the shakers, and with Flaca.  She yells, "Make music!" between each song.  Her dad reminded her to add please.  Her dad also speculated that my arms must get sore.  Yes, sir!

6. After Briana had demonstrated Flaca, a woman came up and asked if her son could have a turn, explaining that he was very shy.  We coaxed him over and he shyly bounced Flaca a little.  They're Greek!  The woman complimented my dress, and said she knows I must have made it because of Flaca's matching one.  I confirmed this, and picked up my purple jumper to show that we usually match even better.  The woman said I need to get a purple hat.  Indeed I do.  Then before they walked away she translated all this for her son.  I liked that.

7. I talked to a nice older couple who told me that there is an accordion festival or something going on on some islands.  They told me about an accordion player named Mhairaid Green who I am to look up.  Will do!

8. Saw a guy with a Muppet Show t-shirt and I realized I should learn the theme song.

9. A woman saw my loans sign and said, "Looks like you'll be playing them for a while!"  Used the wordplay right back at me!

10. There's a family who comes every week who I've gotten to know.  Today was just dad and the toddler girl.  Dad was chatting with someone, and the girl was bored, so she kept taking steps closer to me.  Finally I proposed she accompany me on the shakers, which she did.  And Flaca.  Of course, as a regular, she knows the drill.  I liked that she was able to be entertained while dad was chatting, and that dad knows me well enough to trust me with her.  Passersby always like seeing the kids in action!


11. My O fell off!  I think this is the last letter of "Iorio" that has fallen off my accordion.  It's been a while since the last one!  I'll have a gluing party this afternoon, since Flaca's hat is about to fall off as well.

12.  I forgot this from yesterday, but in the morning at theatre rehearsal we decided that I'm going to play "Twist and Shout" during one of the plays.  I realized how easy it is, and tried it out on the street that evening.  It got a good reaction, people were smiling.  I thought one guy was doing the twist, but it turns out he was just walking funny.  It'd be nice if I can get Flaca to twist!

Then, I did the regular routine of going to the Royal Mile to set up again.  Big mistake!  Would have been much better for my sanity, and time, to just go home.  It was super busy.  Lots of pedestrians, lots of buskers.  This awesome rock band with a violin was outside the cathedral, Todd was doing a show, Elaine was out.  But the problem was, of course, my pitch.  There were four things set up at the arches.  Usually even two is pushing it.  There was a stand doing Indian henna, there was Jackie, there were the cousins and moms, and then a new lady with a big mohawk weaving on a loom while singing.  I talked to Rob the photographer while I formulated a plan, and he warned me that that woman is really terrible.  That if someone photographs without tipping she chases them down the street.  I couldn't imagine she'd be any worse than the moms.  She was.

I walked towards her, just to ask how long she was going to be there, but before I said anything she just yelled, "I'm singing here, hen!"  Not sure what "hen" means in this case.  "Yeah, I was just wondering how long you'd be there."  "All day."  "Well you can only do two hours."  She flipped out.  Literally started screaming, "That's your rule, is it??  I don't have rules."  etc. etc.  Not even going to attempt an actual transcription.  She was actually walking around then, not sure to where, and just ran away from me.

I thought about setting up on Elaine's other side, but decided it wasn't worth it.  Competing with the cousins, the rock band, and this a-hole wouldn't make me too much money, and it would be a better use of my time to cross out some items on my "professional development" list to improve future tips.  I talked to Elaine on my way out.  Mama hen, taking care of her busking babies.  We were looking across the street and saw mohawk lady coming towards us.  I told Elaine, "She's coming to yell at me."  But Elaine insisted she was leaving.  I was actually cowering in fear as she stomped over; I just wanted to hide under Elaine's dress like in the Nutcracker.

I was right about that one.  She had abandoned her post and crossed the street just to yell at me.  "Are you telling this lady to move too?  Telling her she can only stay two hours?"  Went on to tell everyone within a mile radius that she's been doing this for years and that's never been a rule, and here I am coming from America (with a proper infection of disdain) and giving her my rules.  Of course she wouldn't let Elaine or me get a word in edgewise.  It actually was quite scary, with her huge mohawk and loud voice.  I was sure she was going to punch me.  And of course she thought this was my first day off the boat, giving busking a try.  Maybe she's been doing it for years, but I haven't seen her once in six months.  Okay, you get it, I'm getting angry again just thinking about it.  I'll happily give up my remaining Saturday afternoons if I don't have to deal with her.  The moms over there looked like angels in comparison.  But, yes, I really wanted to report her and see her handcuffed and dragged out of town, yelling "But I've been doing this for years!" while I cheerfully played at MY spot.  I'm really surprised she has gotten away with harassing people and is still allowed out at all.  Any insight, Pockets?

It did that thing when I was walking away where it's sunny but it rains for a second.  I was just really hoping there were a few magical busking fairies left in town from last night who would make it downpour.  No such luck yet.  I've dealt with assholes in this line of work, but I don't usually get as shaken up as I did today.  Just glad I had Mama Elaine there to comfort me and encourage me to play anyway!  (Here's Elaine, by the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Davidson )

So now I'm home, in daylight, and I'm going to get to work on things.  Good to rest my arms.  Hopefully tomorrow I can do the Stockbridge market!


2 comments:

  1. Ah Tartan Heather, One of the crazies women you will ever meet. She is quite happy to sit and take the pitch all day singing *ahem* while weaving. She is an old school punk and goes from place to place weaving and singing *ahem*.

    I used to be friends with her, she would let me busk close by for a few hours we would take turns about, a tune each. The most annoying things about her tunes is that she says she is singing in traditional scots (gaelic) when in fact she is singing nonsense with the occasional English thrown in. Plus her songs can me 10 minutes long!

    She also has the habit of screaming at people taking her photo and not leaving a donation. Which when you are not busking is pretty funny to watch as she chases off the very people she is trying to entertain, but when you are busking it really puts people off approaching any buskers.

    Every time I have busked on the same day as her on the same street I have made nothing.

    Technically she is not allowed to demand money as this is begging. especially when she is being so very aggressive about it. She also has the habit of selling her things while busking and without a street traders license she is breaking the law. When Todd does his hatting line in his show he gives people the option to walk away, this is the norm.

    The city chambers hate her. Have you ever been inside when someone is busking outside? Its so loud and echoes through the entire place. I have seen grumpy people who work there out trying to get her to stop with no luck and face full of verbal abuse for their trouble.

    On the subject of abuse, If she looks like she is going to hit you she probably will. She took a swing at me once when I was working a stall there. All because I has had asked her to not sing so loud.

    Best thing to do is report her as being abusing and breaking the busking rules. but the likely hood of anything happening is slim as I have reported her in the past.

    Try not to let her get to you too much as she is but one of the many annoying and rude buskers who turn up near the fringe time. Its only going to get harder as the festival looms in. Ha loom.

    Pockets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thorough answer! I'll see you in September.

      Delete