Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Gallantly Streaming

I woke up today to another dry morning, two in a row!  Weird!  In honor of American Independence Day I gave my piano dress a day off, and instead donned a blue dress with white polka-dots, white tights, and red accessories (accordion included, of course).  I hastily painted an American flag on some scrap paper as I began to regret not having had the foresight to pack my holiday-relevant party hat and mardi-gras beads last January.  I could have prepped a new getup, but at a forecast of 90% rain I didn't think it worth  the time.

As it was, the Americans were worse than the Canadians at showing holiday pride.  There were some people in red, white, and blue, but this common color combination didn't tell me anything for sure.  My old color scheme wasn't that obvious, and the flag amidst all the signs was missable.  I played "Stars and Stripes Forever" and a really terrible rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" to nobody in particular, and didn't help to raise the lackluster enthusiasm for the holiday.  There are so many Americans that come through, you'd think people would be super pumped about it!  I was hoping someone would ask me to play "My Country Tis of Thee" just so I could point out the fact that it's the same tune as "God Save the Queen."  I have mixed feelings about this holiday anyway; it's great to feel patriotic and celebrate, but if the US hadn't gained independence I'd have an easier time getting a UK visa.

Anyway, it was a weird, slow day.  There wasn't as much foot traffic as usual, and people just weren't tipping.  The weather was strange, too, if you can believe that.  It went from being overcast to being incredibly hot and sunny (had to sunscreen up) to raining, back to sun.  Then it began to pour rain, incredibly hard, with flooding and everything.  In the stage where it's sunny but will randomly start raining, I had to keep rescuing my American flag, which would surely run in the rain!

It was also a frustrating day in terms of pitches.  I got moved on twice!  When I arrived at the RM, Tom the accordion player was set up at a strange spot, on a corner of the RM and Bank St., and the Jack Sparrow violinist was at "my" spot.  Great, anyone but the girls!  That was it, so I set up in front of the cathedral.  Right away one of the caricature artists asked me to move down a little, that was fine.  But then, a mean lady who works across the street came and smiled and asked, "Will you do me a favor?  Move?"  I've heard her use this line on others; I bet she thinks it's so clever.  Think Professor Umbridge here.  I warned her that since it was a dry day in July someone else would surely take the spot once I left, but she was confident in her ability to keep telling people to move.  It was her who had moved Tom 2 along, hence his weird choice of spots.

There was a commotion farther down the Mile, which sounded like a big band.  I went to check it out, and sure enough a group of teenagers with marching band gear was set up near the police box.  They had everything, tubas, trombone, clarinet, piccolo, drums.  They were taking out several pitches, but I loved it!  Want to know a secret about me?  I have a huge soft spot for brass bands.  Professional ones playing Christmas songs reduce me to full tears, and amateur ones playing strange mixes of songs just warm my soul.  Yes, they do break all the rules that I've been complaining about, but something about this group was different!  I think I love it because they're proud band geeks, and not all high school band geeks are proud.  I will happily give up my own pitches to promote teenage band geeks.

It was still nice out, and too early to go to my other secret spot, so I decided to sit near Jack Sparrow and wait for that spot.  I would eat my lunch and start writing this blog post.  It turns out Jack Sparrow is Jason from Falkirk who studies at the Berklee School of Music in Boston!  Cool!  We talked Boston and busking on tour.

Nothing interesting happened here.   Literally nothing at all.  I don't have a single bullet point.  Sas and Freya walked by and they came and sang some Kaiho songs with me which was nice.  But soon after, a police officer came up and told me I couldn't play there.  Too close to the war memorial.  This was super annoying, I wasn't blocking war memorial traffic, and the metal barrier the city puts there blocks the view anyway.  If I move to the left the council workers complain that it blocks their foot access, which it does.  Argh.  Just not my day, I guess!  The officer gave me a printed version of the guidelines to hold onto.  Yeah, I know the freaking guidelines.  There was also a woman out doing hair wraps who got a ticket.  Come on, it's July!  Let people take advantage of the tourists!

So it wasn't a great day for anyone.  The circle pitch was compromised because there was a giant tractor and other trucks holding the barriers which were being set up, and even if one of them could set up the brass band would wipe out the talking.  Another police officer came around earlier and informed us that there will be no busking tomorrow due to an event.  Hence the barriers.  It turns out the Queen is in town and she will be heading to St. Giles Cathedral for something.  Maybe I'll go watch and see her car!

One last thing, just because I love wordplay: one of our beloved Edinburgh buskers is a human statue who loves to talk.  He has great things to say sometimes, but the conversations are quite long-winded!  Therefore, another busker has given him the fabulous title of "chatue."  I love that.

The end.  Looking forward to a professional development day tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment